Front Binding/Fin Move Question

Ed_Obermeier

• Baller

As an end-of-season experiment I'm considering moving my front binding only forward a hole to see if it can possibly affect my off side turns (I'm LFF) in a positive manner.  I would assume if I do that I'll need to move the fin forward a bit to compensate.  My question - how much additional DFT?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Ed

• Baller
Try moving the binding only, if You´re not happy with Your current ski setup regarding offside turns it may just be because fin setup is not optimized with Your current boot location (how many of us can say we´ve achieved that?).After You try that You should be able to tell if the move was  beneficial and start fin tweaking from there.

• Baller
I agree with DanE only one move at a time or you won't know what did what. I am sure you have already messed with tip (overall fin length). I recently moved my front binding one hole back and the ski started biting more at the end of my turn. Good luck.

• Baller
I have run mine that way but usually with a little less length and the other settings stock.  If you are running stock settings and want to try something else cant (not rotate) your front binding a little.  Add a couple of fender washers between the binding and ski top on the arch side of your front foot.  This will cause the edge of the ski to ride a little deeper and bite better in the preturn on your offside.  I am LFF with Wileys and currently have four washers at each mounting screw.  If you are using bindings with separate plates it is easy to do.

• Baller

I saw your comments on that subject on the WSF and I do intend to give that a try Bill.  Bought the washers, gotta come up with some slightly longer screws.  I have pretty much the same issues with my offside you have.  I want to try the canting thing, also may try the front binding forward a bit too.  Not much season left so it's a good time to play with things a bit.  I am generally running pretty close to stock settings on my MPD.

Ed

• Baller

I got mine at west marine but they were a little longer than the size I needed.  I ended up using some washers under the machine screw heads as well as between the binding and ski.  The washers I used were the aluminum type that come with Animal and other bindings.  They look like finish washers.  I was able to stack two washers using the same screws that came with the bindings.  When I stacked four washers I needed longer screws.  Two washers made a noticeable difference.