Elbow Injuries

FA

So September 25 I tore my Ulnar Collateral Ligament in my inside right elbow, jumping. I think it hyperextended in my sling. I have the option of Tommy John Surgery to fix it. The doctors tell me that unless I use it to throw a baseball or something similar I do not need surgery. The question is does slalom, trick or jump have anything to do with this ligament. 

Has anyone else had problems with this ligament and waterskiing, any expiereince would be great. Should I have surgery or just rehab over the winter and go from there. The doctor said if I dont have surgery shortly I wont be able.

.....I am an orthopedic surgeon and 35 off skier. You do not need the surgery. The ulnar collateral ligament is only needed whenthe arm is arcing through the actually range of motion while experiencing a valgus load. A valgus load occurs when the hand is being pulled away from the body with the arm at your side and the palm facing forward. I am sure it would hurt right now if you tried to do it. Don't.   If I had the same injury, I would choose to put it in a hinged brace and let it heal on its own. You will be fine by next season. Listen to your doctor and follow the rehab instructions very carefully otherwise other problems with elbow instability could arise. Heal well.  

Eric Seybold

• Baller

I dislocted my right elbow on an arm-through-the-handle fall in May '08 and partially tore the ulnar collateral ligament. I got the recommendation from two orthos to just let it heal. I was swimming at about 9 weeks and water skiing again at 12 weeks, but in a very limited capacity. I couldn't really throw a ball until about 5 months after the injury and then only lightly. When I started skiing again in April of this year and started going pretty hard at it, i had a couple of setbacks where it felt like my elbow was pulling apart. Fortunately, with rest and ice it strenthened up and hasn't been an issue this year. When I first injured it I thought "this needs surgery tomorrow", but went with docs recommendations and good rehab. I still can't throw a baseball as hard as I used to be, but good enough to play catch and coach little league.

Good luck!

Jim