Working on my gates with T.G.S. (The Ghost Skier)

Horton

• Administrators

I went to ski with TGS (The Ghost Skier) last weekend. We got to talking about my gates. I had thought that I wanted to ride a rock hard line out and back. In fact I have always felt more consistent on the way out and back to the first wake if  I am driving the handle forward and left from the edge change.

There is a reason we go to smart skiers to get coaching . . . TGS has me do the following

Progressively drop-in with my left hip and then get on it.  Leading with left hip not my shoulder.

At the point of edge change, instead of maintaining tension he had me practically drop the line. This is the part that I had never thought of or heard before. What this did for me was allow me to rotate the ski better without the boat pulling on me. It made me pretty uncomfortable the first few times I tried it because I took a little hit when the line came tight.

With a little extra emphasis on rotating my pelvis left as soon as I changed edges (“Penis Left” I like to say) and keeping it there to the wakes I think my gates are straightened out.
Now if I can remember any of this in the spring. . . .

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4-6ay9R-bLE/Ssq557ElUHI/AAAAAAAACIQ/yjPjiBCDjwo/s288/DSC_8557.JPG

Photos From My  Weekend With TGS

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I am struggling to understand, but lets see if I get it.  On the turn in for the gates, you lead with your left hip so you are closed off to the boat with your hips.  Then, at the edge change, turn your hip towards the boat so to speak.

This seems opposite of what I have been taught, which is to open hip behind the boat and open hip to shore in the turn.

• Administrators

Penis toward wakes in way out. Penis as far left as possible on the way back. Counter Counter Counter like you you have been told.

For any ladies reading this . . . sorry.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I think I know what you are saying. I ski with a doctor who always tells me to start earlier from wide and turn my shoulders away from the turn I am about to make and start very easy and get good angle without speed into 1. P.S. I saw ghost skier last week and now your thread is a lot funnier.

• Baller

Good comments Horton! 

I agree with your comments particularly the "drop the line" comment.  When you think about it a tight line means the boat is going away from you.  When you change directions for the gate or any buoy the object is to cross the course as efficiently as possible.  If the line is tight (has load) it means you are falling behind and will have to gain speed to catch up.  Keeping the line loose turning in for the gates means you have maintained your speed which you can add to in order to maintain a good line across the course resulting in more time and space out the other side and a slower feeling pass.  It is a much better feeling than loading the handle and pushing on the ski as you turn in for the gates resulting in a decelaration and then hanging on even tighter trying to catch up resulting in a very fast and sometimes narrow approach to the next buoy.

One thing that seems to help me with that is to measure out the energy I put into my pullout.  It really doesn't take much to travel about the 1/3 width of the course to the buoy line where you turn in from.  You need just enough to get out wide with release from the boat so you can make your direction change.  You want a loose handle not slack.

• Baller

PIcture all those ball of sprayers at home in front of the mirror practicing the "penis left", or maybe best not to picture it.

If I am coaching one of the woman at our club, what do I say to them!

cheers

Ali

PS I am Scotish :-)