Offside Handle Rotating

OSSKI

• Baller

I've recently noticed a number of pros who are rotating the handle on their offside so that they always have their hand palm down when they release. (So rotating anti-clockwise into 2-4 for leftys and clockwise into 1-3-5 for rightys).

I assume there must be a reason for this? Any ideas?

www.swervetracker.com

• Baller
When I rotate my palm up going into my offside turn it helps bring my chest and hips up and makes the counter rotation of my chest outward a lot easier. When I do it correctly my OB Elite turns like it is in auto pilot and gets me great angle to the next buoy.

I don't understand the above OSSKI statement of palm up/down?  -As opposed to what?  or with which grip type? (the typical "proper grip" or the unconventional grip)

It seems with a typical so called "proper grip" (LFF= Rt. palm up/ Lt.palm dn.) One would have no choice but to release on the Off-Side with Lt. palm dn.  and rt. palm up. Or at the very least a vertical handle and a pistol grip for both hands...

But, there again I don't think I'm really understanding the topic... Not that anyone really gives a rip what I think, but I really need the typing practice!!! (WTS, I don't even care what I think! -But I still type like crap!) -ha,ha... 

• Baller

It is with the conventional grip. Maybe I didn't explain it well. For a lefty, into 2-4, it would be to twist your right hand (holding the handle) around 180 degrees anti-clockwise so the free part of the handle your left hand will go back onto is pointing into the course, then you rotate the handle back around at the finish of the turn to put back your free hand.

Horton, perhaps it is just the natural reach, however I find my 'natural' reach would be to hold the handle vertically, or even verging towards on 'palm up' (on my offside), and virtually all other skiers I have observed seem to be the same.

I think Nicole Arthur does it most noticably, but I can't find any really good videos that show it. It flashes up very fast on this video, but if you watch around 2.24 I think you can see it...

www.swervetracker.com

If you highlight the text and then click the link button (3rd to the left of the smily face), copy that url into the link url line... poof, programming magic drops the window right into place. 

I'm thinking that is a physical cue to help keep the shoulders level. So pretty much what thager said.