A1 fin adjustment

epyscs

Guys - need some tips on ski setup.

Picked up an A1 the other day after skiing on another person's down at the lake.  On their ski I nailed deep into 32off feeling good enough to do the same at 35 (didnt try, just back-to backed 32).  Fin setup was straight out of the box with wing right way up.  Once i got my ski, the first set it just wouldnt turn, then i flipped the wing to upside down (9deg) and the second set was way better... however, the ski would grab on 1,3,5 (on-side) at the end of the turn and was hitching a bit too much (e.g. couldnt hold the angle).  Also the ski didnt seem as strong on the off-side, both with a weaker pre-turn and the ski not finishing the turn as strong or with as much angle without me trying to initiate the turn / hook-up (and getting on the tip).

As far as I am aware the skis are set up the same - dont have calipers to hand, however going by the markings (yes i know they are not always reliable) and relying on the factory settings they appear to be set-up the same.  The only difference is I am running a new animal and the ski i tested was using an approach (cant say i was a fan).

Going by the fin markings, the tip is at a fraction over 7 and the tail at 6 (wing 9 degrees).

So any thoughts... oh and also skiing on salt and lake around 20 centigrade.  BTW - what change do most of you do when swopping to freshwater?

You have a bunch of issues.

1. Out of the box #s will be jacked up. The fact the wing was wrong will tell you that.

2. The Animal is a total differant binding then the Approach.

3. Move your fin back a bit to get the stall to go away.

4. Get a caliper and find out where you are at.   

• Baller

You need to get calipers and find out where you are at.  You can't possibly eyeball a fin and they are never right out of the box.

I run my fin off the numbers on proskicoach.com andit works well for me although I ski into 32 off not as deep as you.

On the case with some calipers - know I need to get it measured up, however will do it the old-school way until i get some sorted.

Thank feck the animal is different to the approach bindings.  Cant say i was a fan.  Way too much movement of the foot in them, however did like the way they reduced the forward / back movement.  They (apologies HO) just felt like they would never release in an otf at the ball which i had a bad habit of doing on my offside when I got out of shape.

Tried a set this evening and running 28 btb after adding a very small amount of tip but moving fin back a bit.   The ski was slow in the preturn right through to the hook-up.  The turn radius seemed too high, the the point the ski hadnt finished the turn when I had... I was having to force the end of the turn to the point i should really be able to blow out the fin.  It is running relatively shallow already, hence doubt it is that.

I suspect that I may have gone the wrong way and need to go forward slightly and in the last set may have mis-interpreted the hook-up as the ski finishing the turn after me.

Thoughts?

shipping would be more than the calipers...!  Have someone bringing a set for me to use tomorrow so should be able to check setup.

Tried going slightly forward of the original settings, wing upside down and again a little more tip.  Ski was still a truck on 2,4,6 but on 1,3,5 it was coming around well... just needed to stop jumping on it and blowing the tail out.

phantom - think an '01 version.  (took a few years off slalom)

Generally problems on that were a dodgy off-side (really inconsistent) where the ski sometimes stopped round the ball, i blew out the tail or if i didnt try to crank the turn it just didnt get the angle.  Usually made it up with a strong 1,3,5.

Annoyingly I bought the A1 after trying one and had an awesome off-side.

Somebody who skis into 32 off, runs it back to back (on time) and contemplates a crack at 35 off is a competent skier! However, I would not be a fan of your approach to testing a new ski!

1) I would not ski anything unless my feet were in my tried and tested bindings. I want at least a base line.Vice versa, I wouldnt try new bindings without my trusted ski!

2) I would not ski anything first time unless I had set the fin to stock settings! Sorry no such thing as doing it the old way. I am not a fan of constant tweaking, 001 here 001 there, but unless I am happy that I have set the ski up. Including binding position I value my welfare more! Buy the calipers!

3) Ski it for at least 6 sets. One night stands can be hurtful! A ski is your partner, it has to put up with you on your good and grumpy days! Then judge it.

4) Have a competent coach watch you, it might be you! I am sure Will Asher would agree. 

Regards

epyses,

In the end, that is why I dished the A1. It would shut down when I got back to the handle on my onside 2-4-6.

I tried every move in the book to get rid of it and nothing worked. I did have a previous A1 that did not have that issue at all and it was one of the best skis that I have been on.  

Right have some numbers for my ski (cant get access to the one I demo'd at the moment).
Strangely enough I have moved around and am almost at stock and skiingpretty good.  Length is dead on, with DFT at 7.7 and depth at 2.570. Dept was increased for last 2 sets as I was blowing the tail too easilyon both sides.  I may try just losing a tad more but have a bad habitof diving on the tip in the turn.

So the issue - not much really, just a little too much speed downcourse on my off-side meaning I dont feel 100% in the off-side turn. Ski feels a little too twitchy.  Any thoughts?

Roberto - no worries on trying the ski.  The bindings on the ski idemo'd were approaches, however my old bindings were animals, as arethe ones on my new skis.  As for the old-school way, when i startedplaying with fins I watched Will (i think) chopping the back of aschnitz fin off with a hacksaw.  Not a caliper in sight.