PP servo and ZO Shot in the dark!

thager

• Baller
Looking at upgrading my 02 to ZO but hitting some big problems. Was it my imagination a few years back that ZO advertised that a mechanical version ZO was in the works? This disappeared right after the lawsuit agreement? Was it possible that ZO was proposing to use a PPlike servo? I have some avionics guys at work that say a digital to mechanical is not only possible but has already been done in the DC-9 aircraft engine fleet. Obviously a company could not use the PP servo but an individual could for his own use apply it. Anyone out there reverse engineer one yet? Email me at: thager10 at hotmail dot com or whisper if you don't want to comment on this board. I'm half tempted to throw some money at it and I think I have the people that could pull it off.

First of all, that PP "servo" motor is actually a 1.8 degree stepper motor, and these are readily available on eBay, along with many other discount sources.  In fact, here's one now:  http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMAGAWA-STEPPER-STEP-MOTOR-with-REAR-SHAFT-150oz-in_W0QQitemZ260490710807QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca674cf17

Controlling it and coordinating it through some sort of I/O (input/output) drive unit is not difficult; I would think an algorithm utilizing simple step and direction commands would suffice.  A very dependable driver for this stepper can be found here: http://www.geckodrive.com/ and a discussion or two with Morris would probably be extremely helpful, though you should be prepared to be overwhelmed a bit by tech talk.

If you want to discuss it further we can do so privately - pretty sure you already have my email.

TW