Question for front reflex/rear highwrap users

lkb

• Baller
I'm swithing to this setup after many years on double hardshells. Can somebody tell me how tight the rear boot should be to perform good and still be safe from a one on one off crash. I skied it for the first time today, the rear boot was loose enough that I could lift my heel off the footbed but at the end of the set it was pretty hard to get my foot out. Should it be loose enough that soap isnt needed? Any tips would be appreciated.

• Baller

To reiterate Deanoski's statement: "I can pull my rear foot

out easy when done skiing"

IMO, that is key if using a Reflex.

Initially I’d used an Approach rear with loose bungie for the

front laces, but even with a Reflex releases setting of 5.5, had a couple of

buoy strikes that created release with the back foot remaining in.

Have since switched to a Wiley rear which offers good, snug

support but in a significant fall, stuffing the tip, or at the end of the set;

the rear foot comes out comparatively easily.

Reflex release setting now 5, at 180 release when necessary but

seemingly not too easily.

• Baller
The rear binding I used was off an old  KD 7000. The holes didn't line up so I velcroed it on just so I could ski a few test sets. I have the wraps as loose as they would go. It just concerned me that I coouldn't easily get my foot out when I was done. I almost had to soap it again just to get out.

I use a reflex front and have used both a KD comp (highwrap -D3), and a wiley.  For me, the Wiley wins, I have released from it out the front several times - no problems.  I have not gone out the front using the KD, I think I ski a little tentativeley with this because I'm not confident of a release.  The KD is more comfortable, but for me too stiff, in that whilst I can lift my heel 1/4 inch, the wrap over my instep is locked on. 

I personally like the little bit of movement that the wiley allows, but I've seen alot of the Reflex / animal or D3 combo.  If you go that route, try skiing with the back lace undone, or as some do, go for a size up.