Unused insert holes

D Wolters

My binding setup is RS1's on the single plate. If your ski has inserts and you use this kind if plate there are unused inserts on your ski.

I used the blue tape used for painting to cover these unused holes. Easy on and easy off without residue. Last night at the lake I moved my bindings forward 1/8".

This move required me to use the unused inserts. I simply poked the screws thru the blue tape and didn't bother to cover the unused inserts.

I also know that with the newer A1's depending on your binding choice there are unused inserts for that ski.

So what's everyone's thoughts about unused inserts and water entering the core of the ski?    

• Baller

the manufacturer should, for a very minimal cost for themselves, provide at least a few completely flush screws or plugs to fill these holes for both aesthetic and functional purposes but the latter issue probably is minimal unless you ski in saltwater

• Baller_
In theory the holes should not matter as the foam should be impervious to water.  I totally support the idea of taping over the unused holes, much better safe than sorry and theory does not always translate to reality.  A dab of RTV is another option, but the blue tape is easier for reuse of the holes.  I have also thought prior to just covering the holes to leave the ski upside down when not in use to effectively drain the holes of any accumulated water.

• Baller

Inserts are sealed by design. No water should affect the core through an insert. Leave them open without worry.

If you might use the insert in the future, put some antisieze in the unused inserts to protect the threads. You did use antisieze on the inserts you are using?! Wax would also protect the unused inserts.

Extra inserts are put in the ski so you have lots of easy binding choices. Thanks to the manufacturers for doing that. It's easier than screwing around with interlock tape.

Eric

Eric,

I can tell you that I know for a fact that these inserts are opened on the end and yes I've applied antisieze to the threads. Without question I like the option's that are availible and do not buy ski's that do not have them.

I am a firm believer in setting up a ski and not tweeking each time the wind blows but I'm not there yet so I'm moving things around. I felt like the tape was a good option for this.

My thoughts are to prevent water entry and just wanted to throw it out on the table and see what everyone else does.

Was also hoping one of the rep's might comment about water entry. 

• Baller

Honeycomb cores are subject to water damage - even from fresh water. Balsa cores will be damaged by fresh water. Some foam cores can also sustain water damage. My PVC foam cores do not seem to be affected by water (the unrepaired handle ding did not deteriorate after a couple of years of use on one of my slaloms). Water damage is a reasonable concern.

Blue masking tape might be the worst thing you can do to an unused insert. Blue masking tape is designed to peel off easily. It is paper based so in the long term it will not be waterproof. But it will trap water in the insert. If you feel compelled to seal the insert, drip some candle wax in the hole. It will seal quite well, it can easily be cleaned out and it will prevent corrosion in the insert.

OK, I'm not a real manufacturer. But I do install lots of inserts (critical for the Gatorade release system). The inserts are open but to install them, I use enough epoxy (JB weld) to seal completely. None of my skis have had any core damage - but I use every insert so maybe your point is valid. Stan leaves an insert open but his water is very fresh so it doesn't stress the ski.

The college kids share trick skis. Rear toes need to be swapped frequently. San Diego's salt water is very hard on equipment. The D3s get significant damage from the salt water intrusion into the core around the screws for the rear toe. The rear toe is not inserted and usually mounted with sheet metal screws. By the time they bring them to me to fix (by installing an insert), there is a huge bubble on the top skin around the screw holes. To Kidder's design credit, the bottom has no damage and none of the skis have broken (despite every skier's big crashing flip at the end of every pass). But it sure looks bad - really bad!

There is an unused (and unplugged) factory insert on all of these skis. There is not a trace of damage around the factory insert. So D3 seals the factory inserts quite well. I wish D3 would follow Quantum's lead and riddle the ski with inserts - for both front and rear feet. I haven't seen any failed inserts on a Quantum ski despite several open unused inserts. But all the Quantums I've seen are freshwater skis.

Lisa's old Connely slalom had unused inserts. In my brackish lake water there was no damage after 10 years. Her Sixam also has unused inserts which are fine after 3 years. My water is almost as hard on skis as salt water.

Factory inserts should be safe to totally neglect.

Eric

Machine screws alone are Not water tight. Only tapered "Pipe threads" are designed to hold back water. Therefore, all of the used or unused holes Will be subject to penetration. As stated, some type of silicone, plumbers grease, Low strength Loctite, etc... on All the Holes would probably do the trick.

I like Eric's idea of Wax! But, I'm too Dern Lazy... So, I'm going with Eddie, it aint No thing!Cool