Radar Strada55 - Limited Edition

Horton

• Administrators

In the last weeks I have been skiing on a wider version of the Radar Strada. When I first got this ski I evaluated it for 22 off to 32 off skiing. For this level of skiing I reported the following to Eddie at Radar.

Ski feels comfortable and stable on first pass. Turn radius is smooth and tight. Ski seems to hold a very high average speed though the course.  Physical effort needed to run a lot of passes is very low. User friendly rating is A+. Wake crossings were surprisingly good for a wide ski or any ski.

Eddie sent me a text message a week later asking of I had tried the ski on shorter rope. At this point I had only tried 35 once this year and missed that attempt. I then went out and ran two 28s, two 32s, two 35s and then got around 5 at 38! Mid Summer and behind PerfectPass, this would be a better than average score for me. In April and behind a ZeroOff Nautique this is a freaking unreal score for me. This ski is the real deal!

The bad news is that this ski is not in the Radar 2010 catalogue and currently Radar has not committed to future production of this ski with the same specs as the Strada. The good news is that Eddie has a few of them.

If you want one, I am taking orders. They have last years RS-1 graphcs. They are all carbon with a PVC core like the Strada.

I have nicknamed the ski the Strada55. If you call Radar and ask about for a Strada55, no one will know what you are talking about because I made up the name.

• Administrators

Almost forgot.

The skis come in 65 and 67. 

The 67 is .2 inch wider then a 67 Strada so You may want to go down a size if you are unsure.

Price is the same as a Strada $1150.

• Administrators
I have not skied the standard one yet. So I do not know but the 55 is pretty darn easy to ride. I mean I do not generally get way down 38 in April.

• Administrators

Gosh,

The Senate (a killer ski) is based on the RS-1/MPD shape with slightly less high tech construction (Not a PVC core as well as .. whatever else...). I think it is a really good ski up to mid 35 off.  

The Stada55 is based on the Strada shape and has the top of the line construction (all carbon & PVC core).

They are two different skis. The Strada and the 55 have a new outline and bevels and rocker and "stuff".

I skied the Strada55 (67in) a week ago at Radar lake.  34 mph skier, 175lbs.  It was a super fun ski.  The ski didn't feel too big.  Very stable and smooth in the turns.  It felt like you skied a very "high" line thru the course (always early).  The wake crossings were no problems at all for a ski that is 2 inches wider.  Hortons description was very accurate.  I would have to agree with him on the performance of the ski.  Another noticable difference is the tail is round rather than square.

I skied perfect pass ran 22, 28, mised a 32, then ran a 32 pass.  For April that is the best skiing of my life.  On the shorter line, I got late in the middle of the course and was able to make up ground no problem. 

The boys at Radar are on target with the product they are producing.  Great job with this ski.

MBskier

The 69" Senate-C really seemed too big for most guys skiing faster than 32 mph, in my opinion.  At the same time, at 215 - 220 lbs, I kind of felt the 67" Senate-C was just a hair small for me.

In any event, I talked to RD about lining up a 68" Strada (2010) to test ride when I'm down there in mid-May, so maybe that'll turn out to be all I could ever want...  Obviously, if there's a 67" MegaStrada ("MS-1"?) on hand I'll definitely want to give that a ride too...

TW

• Baller

Looking for some info on this ski. I really like the SenateC, so I am wondering if I should try one of these or stay on the senate. One thing about the Senate is that the tail is much wider. The ski is wider everywhere. Is this ski .2 inches wider everywhere or just in the forebody?

Thanks.

I am a 15 off skier working my way from 32 mph to 34 mph and after watching me ski Eddysuggested I try it.  It is an unbelievable ski to me.  I came from aCDX and the change in my skiing was drastic.  I was struggling with aslow transition and this ski made it smooth and fast.  FortunatelyEddie was nice enough to sell it to me.  I agree with what the previouspost, Eddie and the guys at Radar are on target with what they are producing. Thanks Eddie!

Also I think Eddie told me that this ski is in the lineup for 2011......

Is there an official name for the ski or is it called Stada 55?  I was going to ask a dealer here about  it and didn't want to sound stupid.  Also, I am looking at the Senate C and potentially one of these.  I am a 34mph skier, mostly longer lengths, but looking to go shorter.  What are the main differences between the skis?

• Administrators

phatty,

The Senate C is a great upper / mid level ski. The Senate is a wider version of the older MPD and RS-1 skis. The Strada55 is sort of the same idea – a wider version of the Strada. The 55 is built with the same specs and materials as the Strada so it is simply on an other level from the Senate – also costs more.

If you really want a 55 I have two so I guess I could have one for sale....

Horton@BallOfSpray.com

• Administrators

TJM

I have run it on both. The soft one is not really soft it is normal. The stiff one is . . . well it is stiff.

Deano,

See the settings page http://www.ballofspray.com/settings  - all the way at the bottom of the page

• Administrators
  • Baller
We had a 67" version around my site after the tournament this weekend.  The ski obviously works - we saw 39 run on it during my tournament.  I thought it was a nice, stable ski but much different ride than my D3.  I could get used to it given time but at this point in the season, I'm not willing to invest my energy adapting to a new ski.  Some other opinions ranged from "stable and quick" to "would make a great barefoot drop ski".  Certainly, not a ski everyone would like.

• Baller
Watched Dawg, JD, and Chad Baker on it last weekend. Compared to the Strada, it seemed to keep more of a tip down, level attitude off the apex with a good bit of tail slide .  When I had a Senate C, it had much of the same characteristics. I toned down the tail slide on the SC with a Schnitz slot fin. I wonder if how that fin would work on the S55.

• Baller

John - I agree, very forgiving ski, reminds me a lot of my old 2004 X5 but even more forgiving and hooks up so nice at the buoy. Easy through 34-28 with some fin tweaking over stock (moving DFT back .030" and reducing wing angle to 8deg). This ski really rips Eddie, LOVE IT!!! Made the transition into 36-28 much more consistent in any conditions. Much improved over my 66" MPD and 66" RS-1, just love the feeling. Never been so confident on the ski this early in the season. Started back in March 20th at 195lbs, now down to 185lbs at 5'10" with easy runs of 34-28 and very consistent back-to-back 36-22.

Going to do some more fin tweaking, looks like you are running the bindings further forward at 29-7/8" I'm at 27-7/8 with 11-1/2 between to keep my bow legs together wearing Fogmans.

With the full radius tail and concave bottom at tail, not easy to measure DFT.

Front Binding Position 28.875 Rear Binding Position 17.375

Wing Angle 8 Length 6.829 Depth 2.494 Dist from Tail .702 Leading Edge 8.026

• Baller

Scot,

The numbers I ran on that ski were 6.814, .754, 2.495, 9 wing. I think the one you are talking about is my old ski. It was shipped straight from Dallas and I didn't get to set it up. I would try this and see if it works well. 

Marc