How many sets on a ski before it's done?

Andre

• Baller

I'm on a 07 Nomad RC.Bought it new in early 07 and average about 150 sets a year (in a 150 day season here).

So my ski got at least 500 sets of 6-8 passes of use.

Is my ski finish or the loss of performance won't affect this Wally(34 mph 28-32 off)?

Thanks!!!

Horton

Don't know why my user name shows like this.

Can you edit my username to Andre.

TIA.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
I have the same ski (probably about 400 sets on it) at the same speeds and line lengths.  I was wondering the same thing.  This season it seems to really be a lot of work to get it to go from ball to ball.  It also seems to cast me out less.  I am a 200# more brut than finess skier (not the most fluid skier) so i am guessing the ski sees more strenuous flexing from cranking on it more.  I wonder what, if any, impact this has on the ski breaking down. 

• Baller
I usually get 7-8 seasons out of a ski. I had a 2000 O'Brien Mapple Signature model. I had to replace it because the bindings were shot, and the fiberglass on the ski was beginning to delaminate. I got into 32 off at 36 MPH in a variety of conditions since the lake I ski on is semi-public. I quit skiing 36 MPH at the end of 2008 at the age of 39. I felt it was time to think about preserving my body so I can still ski when I am 65 years old. If you are competing to ski at the nationals every year I could see changing skis every season or two, but for the rest of us I don't see the need. I slalom, trick, barefoot, and kneeboard so my equipment has to last.

• Baller

I've had skis that I was sure had broken down. But when I had to come back to the ski after a while away, the ski would work well again. Maybe the ski gets stale. Refreshing my style (by adapting to another ski) makes the ski work again.

The new technologies are superior. So there may be some performance advantage to new skis. I have had skis break or break down so there might be real structural issues - but usually the problems are visible.

Buy a new ski frequently just to keep your style challenged. Food chain the old ski down to kids, wives and friends. Everyone will ski better!

Eric

• Administrators

Great question. This is part of the reason I am counting my turns this year.

On average I think 2 seasons of heavy skiing is the limit. Some skis more and some less.

Epoxy, Carbon and PVC only last so long. They can only be cycled so many times.

• Baller

Thanks to all for the replies.I know i want a new stick but just can't get my mind to justify another 1200$ for skiing...

And there's that new guy on the lake talking about selling his 09 196 with the 409 engine.../vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-money-mouth.gif/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-yell.gif

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!