HO Co-X SL - Any HO engineers out there

skibug

• Baller

I am looking for a new ski and after Horton's positive review of the HO Co-X I figured I would add it to the list.  I went to the local dealer to check one out (they offer a $25 demo).  I knew the design incorporated a stepped bottom; but, I didn't realize how sharp the steps were until I felt them.  I understand the physics behind the design (in terms of the hydrodynamics); but, a couple of questions popped into my head (the engineer in me surfaced) from a structural / material stand point.

1.  These sharp steps would definitely introduce stress risers; meaning that the material and location would be much more suseptable to failure.  What or how is this mitigated in the design?

2.  If one of these steps got nicked/dinged/whatever; it would have some impact on the skis performance and it would be almost impossible to repair.  Would you have to sand down the whole damaged step to get its symetry back?

I am still going to demo the ski; but, these items concern me a little.  Maybe it is just my inner anal engineering monster; but, I can't help these were the first things I thought about.

Any thoughts?