Strada Boot versus RS-1

east tx skier

I am toying around with buying a used pair of RS-1 boots.  I have seen the video where Rossi says that the Strada is a little less stiff on the rear of the boot.  Anyone who has ridden them both care to comment on what I am missing out on by trying the RS-1 versus ponying up 2x the cash for the Strada? 

Also, having a binding that releases reliably is extremely important to me.  Currently on Wileys.  Will the RS-1 and Strada Boots meet this requirement?

• Administrators

They are safe. As long as you are smart and to not crank the top bungie you will release.

I should have a pair of Stradas in the next few days to replace my RS-1s - I will let you know.

You're getting close enough to the end of 2010, that the Stradas might be going on the same kind of spectacular sales that let me get into new RS-1's for $120 a boot.

I've said before, one of my favorite features of this kind of boot is that you can easily test the release on dry land and know how it will release when you ski.

Good info.  And I was considering waiting for the season to wind down to see what came available in the Strada.

As far as cranking down the bungee, how loose laced can you run these boots?  I used to have Animals and ran them loose.  Then I switched to the approach.  I could not run those loose and feel any sense of control.  So I ran them just tight enough to be comfortable and they wouldn't release.  Been on Wiley's ever since.  Pretty happy with them, but my feet tend to get cramped by the end of the set.

Also, at size 10.5, should I be looking for size 11?

Yeah, 11's should work.  I'm a size 10.5 and 11's worked perfect.   I've got a set of size 11 RS-1's I used for a year-1/2 and a pair of size 11 Strada's I wore for 20 sets +/-.....I'll make you a deal on all 4 boots, cheap!

• Baller

You can wear the upper lace as loose as you like or as tight as you like as long as you leave some elasticity in it. The release works by the lace stretching as your foot tries to come forward and then the strip of material on the back of the liner begins to slide up the binding and out you go. It doesn't take much stretch, but there has to be SOME for the mechanism to work. I'm on my third season with the RS-1 system and have nothing but good things to say about it. Ejected twice without issue and stayed in a few times without issue and the system responded the way I'd like for the falls I took (all the way in, or all the way out thank you).

J3 and I are working on a deal on his Stradas in Sz 11.  As for arch support, if I decide to change that, is that radar specific.  Does H2Osmosis carry it?  Also, he mentioned that he beefed up the bungee.  If I decide to go back to stock, what size is the OEM bungee on that boot?

I have skied in both. My opinion is that the Strada is softer and feels more like a rubber boot than the RS-1 which feels more like a hybrid. I would guess that with the bungees at the same tension, the Strada would release easer than the RS-1. I feel that they are sized differently also. Try them on if you can.

• Baller

East Texas, 

Any arch support will work in the boot. The ones from Radar are good, but I wound up going with a more rigid 3/4 length orthotic glued to an old Goode flat plastic insert. (What I used for years in my Powershells.) Green Superfeet orthotics (which are available on line and in a lot of sporting goods stores) would also give you a little more arch. You can also play with orthotics in liner vs. in the bottom of the boot. With duct tape, glue, and scissors the possibilities are endless!

BTW, I am 11 or 11.5 foot depending on the shoe and fit well in the size 11 Strada. They do run more true to size than the RS1's. I put on some RS1's last year and there was no way. With the Stradas I feel a little pressure on my toes just standing in the boot, but on the water they are perfect.  

• Baller

Should be close to 3/16...but as you know,i've been wrong before!!!

That's what i use for  the course and my ski partner keep stealing some to repair his RS1!

Parrish record is not safe anymore now that you'll be on your RS 1! :)

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

Actually, I have been on the 04 Sixam all year.  Added some depth and got it turning, but the onside feels off now.  That fin block is such a pain; I probably messed something up. 

I figure I will put the strada boots on the MPD and give it another go.  It always turned great, but felt a bit slow in the pull, even though it got nice and wide.

Got the boots today and installed them on a sequence plate.  Quick question on the plate.  Do I want to torque those middle screws all the way down.  The fronts and rears have spacers, but the middle screws torqued down put a little bend in the plate between it in the ski in the middle.