Fin Set up problem

jwr

• Baller
I ski on a 67 Sixam SS with Wiley binders.  I've been skiing it with the fin set up a lot different from everyone else, and it has skied good, but I struggle getting wide.  I moved my settings closer to everyone elses and it has made some things better, but the ski wants to stall coming out of the bouy on my bad side.  It isn't causing me to break at the waiste or anything, it is just like the ski hesitates for a second before it goes.  My settings are 6.85 tips, 2.52, and .8 head.  I was thinking of adding some lenght to the fin, thought that might help.  Just for reference I was running 6.44 tips, 2.48, and .7 head.  Any ideas on fin adjustments?  Thanks.

• Baller

2.52 is pretty deep, unless you are running 36 mph or real short line at 34 mph.  Taking out the length is going to reduce your preturn.  If neither of the length moves help; I would try setting the length back at 6.85 and take out some depth, like 2.50 -2.51.  This will put a little more "slip" into the ski keeping it moving through the turn.  Just my .02 cents

• Baller
Thank You,I didn't think about that.  I said the ski stalls, but I'm not sure if that is the best despriction or not.  I like your description of keeping the ski moving through the turn.  The way I have it set up right now the ski doesn't want to finish the turn.  It is like it hesitates, at the finish of the turn.  I'm not at real short line, I can barely run 35 with the ski like this, and it takes everything I got to get a couple of bouys at 38. 

I'd look at the tip of the ski and try to see how it is responding thru the turn. the leadine edge controls the ski tip on the off-side. i.e. a longer measurment will drive the ski tip down and making quicker, more aggresive turns. A shorter measurment will raise the tip and make a longer, rounder turn...

What is the Factory #'s for that ski? I would work from there.

• Baller

Factory #'s are:

.8 (head), 2.52, and 6.84 (tips).  Seems like most of the numbers I have seen from other people have the fin a little shallower between 2.49 to 2.50 and little longer, closer to 6.9.

• Baller
I shallowed up my fin from 2.52 to 2.51 today, and was able to take a set.  It was better, I ran 35 no problem.  I'm going to try it here for a few sets and then decide if I need to shallow it up anymore.  Thanks for the advice.

• Baller

Good to know you are going in the right direction.  FWIW...I have talked to a few higher end skier (I am not one of them) that tend to run the fin shallow to the point where it blows out at their hardest pass; then go .005 to .010 deeper to get it to hold through the turn but still have the right amount of "slip" to keep it moving.