Ever swamp your boat?

rawly

• Baller

While learning how to drive the course,my daughter hit reverse at the end of the course when the boat was settleing back into the water.The nose dove in(2005 Mastercraft x-7(197)and filled the boat with water.The wall of water knocked the mirror off the windshield,and bent the bimini, when the boat stopped running(it was still going in reverse under water)the water level was at the top of the gunnels.Sorry John,no pictures.Long story short,that was over  2  months ago and after jacking me around for what seems forever,my local Mastercraft mechanic seems to want to keep the parts total under the insurance companies set price to total out the boat.I love the boat,but will it ever be the same?Any insurance guys,or mechanics out there.This happened in fresh water. Looking for advice,thanks in advance    Steve

• Baller
A similar thing happened to me...slammed the boat into reverse while towing a skier to avoid hitting a jetskier. Amazingly the only damage was a broken windshield, bent mirror frame (which actually points it directly behind the boat now), and the drive shaft broke about 80% through. We didn't find out about the drive shaft til some years later when it finally snapped. This was a 1980 stars & stripes, so it doesn't have nearly the number of options you've got, but it's been running great for years since the accident. I would check the starter, battery cables, anything electrical that might have gotten wet.

• Baller
My 72 Hydrodyne IO with a Ford 302 was tied to the dock when a storm came in about 1980. Waves washed over and filled it to the gunnels before I could get down to it. I was at a friends party at the time so I probably didn't recognize the seriousness of the storm too quickly. Engine was not running at the time. I pulled the boat onto a boat lift to drain it then towed it home. At home I drained the oil then removed the spark plugs and turned the engine over a few times to blow water out of the cylinders. Water flew for 50 feet!! I then let everything dry out for a week or so. Changed the oil again, and put the spark plugs back in the engine. Ran the engine for a half hour and changed the fluids once more to be safe. I had that boat until 1998 and never had a single problem. Did your engine suck water into it? If so there would be a lot of damage. Good luck!

• Baller
Engine sucked lots of water,it was running when the water level went over the intake manifold.Engine is being replaced(2 busted rods),along with most electronics.Seems mechanic does not want to order a complete engine as recomended to me by Indmar,instead he wants to get a long block and re-use some of my old parts.Apparently a new engine,tranny,and electronics would put his estimate over the insurance companies repair vs.total the boat out threshold.The boat is drive by wire,and I haven't heard any mention of replacing throttle parts.So that is the type of advice I am looking for.Should I go with the deal that will make my dealer the most money,or should I request more parts to be replaced or have the boat totaled?I am also concerned about long term effects and re-sale value.I planned on keeping this boat for a long time. 

• Administrators
No not new. New boats are for suckers.... (unless you are the guy who just got one) too many killer deals on used boats right now.

We had a '73 Nautique that seized up its starter, and we replaced it with a Schuck's special.  This before we knew anything about "reverse rotation", so we were baffled when the damn thing wouldn't start after numerous attempts.  Finally, when it actually started squirting water out the carburetor (not kidding about that), we realized something was wrong...

We managed to retrieve the old marine starter from Schuck's core pile and took it to an auto-electric specialty shop for a total rebuild.  The shop owner let me watch the process, and later I rebuilt the starter myself (minus the  "new" spray paint) two more times before I sold it in 1980.

We did nothing about the water in the engine except remove the spark plugs and crank it over and over - until the battery needed recharging - while spraying fogging oil into the carb and spark-plug holes.  New plugs and crossed  fingers and it fired right up.  As far as I know it's still running somewhere...

TW

• Baller
That's about what happened,but when my kid was going backwards,she got more water to come in.She has this guy beat.I was at the other end of the lake,so I didn't see what happened.I just heard both of my daughters screaming hysterically,and could tell that the boat was floating way too low in the water.After almost losing my oldest daughter in a tubing accident,I was just glad that they were OK.The daughter who was driving was in shock.She actually told her sister"don't tell dad".Yeah right,dad wont notice a thing....Still waiting to hear from my insurance guy.

• Baller
Insurance company and shop want to replace engine and most electronics.Since it was fresh water,they thing it will be OK in the future.Our lake has a large amount of Aquashade dye in it.Does anyone know if this makes the water more corrosive?

• Baller

Rawly, We had something very similar happen to a 197 our group owned.  Driver went to reverse when he was slowing to turn to pick up skier and submarined.  It wrecked the Bimini and got quite a lot of water in the boat but did not damage the engine, harnesses or other electronics.  I would think you would be ahead of the game if they give you new electronics and a 0 hour engine.  The rest of the boat is pretty much water proof after thorough cleaning and drying.  Your event sounds a little more serious than ours so it might be worth having the shop dye penetrant check the propeller shaft at the propeller end to make sure it hasn't cracked at the keyway.

If they are going to replace the engine and electronics maybe you could get one with the correct ECM to run Zero Off. 

I saw that happen at the Holly Lake Slalom Fest lots of years ago.  The skier popped the handle , the handle lassoed the shift lever and pulled it into reverse. The boat went under water . No one was hurt, the driver was sitting in his seat (like the movie) with a surprised look on his face.

• Baller

My cell phones work when the water isn't too salty after they dry out. But if it's salty the cell phone is toast when it gets wet. ECMs are a bit more robust than cell phones.

However, if your boat is DBW and running PP then the electronics never worked right. That's why ZO is in all the new DBW boats. If you can get any money towards a new ECM, go for it and get the ZO compatible ECM. The ECM is what defines ZO compatibility. Call Jody. Spring for the ZO upgrade.

Aquashade is fine. Catfish poop less so but unless your water tastes salty it's OK.

The rest of the engine and transmission will be fine. Change all the fliuds and the engine will last as long as you take care of it. All of my flooded engines were old. Change the oil and hose them down with WD40 and they worked fine. Until the pan corroded away - but what do you expect when the bilge is always full of water?

At least your cool mirror survived.

Eric

• Administrators

There is a killer MC for sale at Paradise.

Every story I have heard about this kind of thing is bad. I would try to total the boat and start over if possible. Keep the mirror,

• Baller

Trying to get it totalled still.Seems that because of the bad economy,the insurance company and dealer are trying to do what is best for them.Pulled it from the shop,and will talk to an insurance arbitrator.I don't want to start throwing parts at it until I know this is my only option .Not looking for sympathy here,just figured the advice will help me now and maybe the next sub captain down the road.