Go Pro HD Hero

lpskier

• Baller_
I just got a Go Pro HD Hero for my birthday (Thanks, Mom!). Anyone have one? Any advice, tips, cool things to do? Any problems with any of the mounts? What do you use to avoid losing it while skiing? Any comments (except overly sarcastic ones) are greatly appreciated. The overly sarcastic comments will merely be tolerated. Thanks!

Lpskier

The mount itself sucks for use on the surface of the ski. Any sudden shock and the camera will move. I use industrial strength velcro that you can get a home depot to stick it on various places on the ski. You then have to craft some wedges to get the angle right if you want to put it on the tip of the ski facing back at you. If you look at the the video that Horton recently posted on the BOS home page, there is a great shot from this perspective. I only use it for 2 balls because after the second ball, the camera still blew off the ski. The wide ride really smacks around and really needs a lot of velcro. I'm going to buy a second enclosure and grind off the original mount so I can use a more traditional camera mount that can really be locked down and has a wider base. Any part you need for this camera is available pretty cheap on-line. Beyond the weak mount, the camera does a lot of cool things like time lapse (also in the video on the home page) and real slow motion.

C'mon Horton, once you get it set, it goes back to what you last used it for. I just wish I had it on everybody's skis for the fin protector and blind man challenge. The shots it gets are worth the hassle never mind the pictures of Brent wearing it on his forehead!

• Baller

Brent is right, attach something that floats to the plastic case otherwise you may loose your camera like my friend did. If you stick it to the tip of the ski be sure to tigh the screw with a screwdriver as the vibration makes the camera move.

Btw, the case is really waterproof, when my friend lost his camera we where able to return to the lake with the diving equipment only 1 week after he lost it and found it in perfect conditions at 6 meters deep.

Check some videos we did at my youtube page, if the link is not correct Google for "albertocsoares video slalom" Sorry they are not edited ...

http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2Falbertocsoares&sort=p&channel_id=0&ytsession=%7B%7D&user=albertocsoares&start=0&gl=IT&bmb=1

The mounts worked well for us.(don't try and unstick them and move them to another ski) We zip-tied a floatie key chain to the mount (worked well when it fell off after trying to reuse the mount with the same tape). You can see results at Youtube. search water ski team tn- It's fun.

Ham Wallace

• Baller

I also received one for Christmas.  Just used it for the first time last Sunday.  I used the headband strap with a Key Float zip tied to it (it is enough to float it).  Here is the YouTube link.  I have also fabbed a metal plate to mount to my S1 EXO inserts and I stuck the UHB adhesive camera mount to it.  The camera can then be clipped in facing fwd or aft (tilted up at the skier).  One thing I am going to try is to put RainX on the case and also look into the moisture absorbing material inserts (since it is cold out here) to reduce the fogging in the case....but from a first use, pretty cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSdcdlaQddl 

• Baller

The Surf attachment has a tether for the very reason you guys have mentioned...so you don't lose it when you crash.  Well, the surf attachment is a little bit big, so we are working on a small bracket that you can tether to.  I should have some available about the time we get our first shipment of cameras to sell.  IF anyone wants one with their camera purchase, please let me know.  IF they are cheap enough to make, we will just throw them in with your camera order, if not, then we will just cover costs so no one is losing their GoPro Cameras.

We have not put the GoPro cameras online at H2OProShop.com yet, but they should be up soon.  For now, just call us to place orders if you need one.  Mention Ball of Spray for a little help on the costs...

Thanks guys.

Seth Stisher

H2OProShop.com