Silveretta and Trick Ski for Hand & Toes

epyscs

I use a silveretta release on a toe ski and will be going back to using just one ski soon for both passes.  So I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer for me:

• Firstly, what do people who use 1 ski do about a release system?  Go tight on the release so they dont pre-release on hands or have another alternative?  (thinking of a strap that can be loosened for toes?)
  • Is it possible to lock a Silveretta for the hand pass, but not for the toes?
  • What is the risk of a Silveretta release in the shin and why does this happen?
  • How can I stop any releases  / potential injuries from the hardware?

Thoughts and opinions welcome?

• Baller
I slalom with a Silvretta system from Reflex and I have never had a problem with my shin getting gashed by the hardware but my ski partner tricks with one and he has some nice scars where he got cut before he bought a release protector from Reflex http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Wbf2PN_5-mA/TJbgLHu7r_I/AAAAAAAAAow/Pcddk6o6mbQ/s288/2010releaseprotectblue.jpg http://www.reflexworld.com/shop.shtml . My friend likes to go tight on his release so he does not pre release. He is a hand skier only. You can not lock the Silveretta unit. I'm sure you could create some modification that allows you to "lock it" but I would not do that for safety reasons. A hardshell for a trick ski is more for control and not the release aspect. I know FM has an option I think that might be what your looking for. This is offered with the REVO binding http://www.jagersport.com/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=181"Specify your system by selecting the various options for toe and heel attachment. The new Air Heel Clamp (non-release) is compatible with the Silvretta Heel. Therefore one boot can be shared between a hands ski with the Air Heel (no-release) and a toes ski with a Silvretta (for release)." I would give them a call (250) 724-1402 or email them pjager@jageng.com . I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. If it was me I would leave the system the way it is and use it in it's intended way with out changing it.

Sorry - should have mentioned.  I have a similar setup as the air on the current hand ski. 

The problem is only using one ski for both passes and wanting a higher release tension for hands but lower to allow for a toe release.  Happy to go fixed on hands, but not sure how to chop and change for toes or if anyone does?

• Baller

Dave Curmi makes a snowboard boot strap that goes over the boot for hands and essentially locks it in. Release the strap and the release will be normal for toes.

The Silveretta clip is dangerous to the shins. Use a soccer shin guard and that protects a lot.

The Silveretta clip is not a perfect system. Inspect and repair it frequently. Lots of skiers trick with it so it can work but you are accepting some risk. But every system will have some risk.

Eric