Looking for a new Ski and Bindings

bobuna

I skiid as a kid and picked it back up two years ago. I have been skiing a 67 connely rocket, mostly free skiing, but decided to take some lessons and try to ski the course a bit this summer. I have skiid 6 sets in the course this year and lots of free skiing, so maybe about 150 balls and got as far as 22 off at 32 mph (didn't make it up to 34). I have been looking at a new ski to buy and with all of the choices, it is hard, especially with no demo programs up here.

I was looking at primarily the Strada, A2 and Goode mid-ride as options.... and maybe an elite. What would you suggest for a good ski and size to help me improve next season. I am 6'3", 205lbs, ski pretty aggressively and ski in canada, so the water typically is between 70 and 80 degrees in summer (not sure if that will affect size). I generally ski at 34mph.

Are these skis good options to help me, suggestions?? 

Well you are looking at some of the elite sticks there..really nice skis. However, based on what you've said I'd think about going with something a little wider. It will help you out in the course at the slower speeds. Think about the radar senate, if you want to save a little more the connelly V might be a place to look. By spending less now you can upgrade with less guilt in a couple years when you are a better skier. If you are dead set on a 36mph ski the radar Vice is a good place to look - high performance, lower price.

• Baller
bobuna where is up here? I checked your IP London Ontario Canada right? If so I believe you are about an hours drive from The McClintocks Ski School http://www.mcclintocks.com/ in Cambridge. It would be worth a try and see what they can do for a ride before you buy maybe with last years model skis? I would also contact Tadd at H2Oproshop.com they have a good ride before you buy program. I am not sure if they ship to Canada but it could be worth a try. http://www.h2oproshop.com/ride-before-you-buy-program.html Give him a call and he will talk with you about what skis to try ect. 1.866.213.7993 Even if they do not ship up there he still has some great knowledge about skis. As for the skis you mentioned above I doubt you could go wrong with any of them they are all great skis but in my opinion it is always better to try them out before hand. I will say the Elite is one great ski! But for the slower speed I would try out the new Elite Quattro, Good Mid or Wide ride. ect

• Administrators
What Matt said but .... we are at a time where there are no bad skis. Try before you buy. Demo Demo Demo. Find what works for you. Call Tadd for sure and tell him you never heard of me....

Tadd @ H2o will do a ride before you buy with Canadians - the shop is super helpful and good to deal with... keep in mind that when the ski ships across the border there will be taxes and you wont get those back. Not sure how taxes work on a ski going back into the USA but I imagine you'll have to pay those too. Also be sure the ski is made in USA otherwise you get those ugly import duties.

I don't like to spread false information so I'd consider this as more ofa heads up than fact and something that should be looked into if you'reconsidering importing goods.

Anything that was not manufactured in the USA or Mexico is subject to customs/duty when shipped to Canada. Well, for the most part... for example when buying a car I believe 55% of it must be made in the USA for it to qualify (Mercedes builds cars in the USA). That way US companies couldn't have an entire guitar built in China and then put stings on it and call it made in America.  So I believe skis made in Asia by a US companies would be charged duty. As far as I know.

One thing about the taxes... I remember hearing that you might be able to apply for an exemption to get the taxes back if you can provide proofthat you've returned the item. But it has been awhile since I've lookedinto that so you would need to confirm.

Thanks for the advice, i'll definitely try to demo something, the only problem is that in canada, most places only stock one or two of the high end skiis ie. strada, A2, coeff-X.... and usually not in a 68. I will check out h20 as i may try and pick up a ski in the US on a trip this spring to avoid any duty and also the exchange up here for goods makes everything expensive. (eg. $1600 plus 13% tax for a 2010 strada blank).

i appreciate the help.

Um what? Some ski shop is overcharging for that Strada - you'd save a ton of money ordering from the USA at that price. Irks me a little bit how Canadian shops throw a huge markup on their gear... we have a few places around my part of the country like that too.... I like to support local businesses but if they are trying to rip you off it's hard.

PS, at you're level I'd still take a hard look at a 34mph ski like the senate as opposed to one of the high end skis.

• Baller

bobuna wrote "Any suggestions on ski size?? 68 or larger? does water temperature make a difference in the size i should pick??"

I'm 6' 3" and 200.  I'm on a 68" Strada now and a 68" MPD before that.  At your size I'd say a 68 would be right,  I wouldn't go larger.  I also agree with the suggestion at your current level to go with a Senate or Senate C (for you I'd say Senate C, FWIW).  Those skis will take you to 34 and cutting rope before you'd have need to upgrade, as Tuney suggested.  If you could find a good condition used MPD that would be a really good inexpensive option also IMO.  I had one for sale but have decided to keep it as a backup (which I likely will never need, but anyway...).  Several available on Ski-It-Again last time I looked.  

Water temps are a fin/binding setup issue and an entire other arguement discussion.

Ed

• Baller
bobuna, I'm in Orillia and we have several skis in our club you can try out if you're ever in our part of the Province.  I know we have a prophesy, z7 and a1 in your size that you could try.  (most guys ski Connely in our club, I think it's due to a really good rep that make a big effort with demos and great service)  Plan on next summer coming up for a ski and try something out.  Other options are McClintocks in Camebridge, they'll have radar and HO some member (Geordie, I think) imports d3's that I demoed last year.  Also summerski in Newmarket will have ho and radar and reflex bindings for demo, and finally bush's ski school in Bala always has connely and ho, so you could look into any of these as options as well.  as for import duty, Darren Wiley gets skis to me for about $65 which includes duty etc.... so it's not too bad.  Also got a d3 this summer directly from Paul at d3 for about $70 with duty and shipping incl. so it's not bad at all.  I agree it's nice to get from local proshop, but if you can ship for half the price, it's hard not to.  And as you mentioned, local proshops don't carry many options.  the local 'source for sports' shop in Orillia is owned by an avid skier so he often has a nice selection of demos etc... as well.  keep in touch and good luck.