Myth Buster - Searching for the truth behind the singing/whistling ski

skibug

• Baller
Ok, I think all of us have expereinced this phenomenon of our ski "whistling" or "singing".  Can anyone prove or disprove the myth that this means the ski is set up just right?  I have recently had my ski "singing" all the way down the course; then, made a binding adjustment and the "singing" went away.....and so did my consistancy and average buoy count.  I had the bindings in this location for about 2 weeks.  Yesterday, I moved the bindings back to the previous location where the ski had been "singing" and sure enough the "song" was back and the ski felt much better and the buoy count went back up?  So, is this in my head or what??

• Baller
I believe it to be true but it is very counter intuitive to me. As a former aeronautical engineer I understand that, that sound is a vibration probably caused by cavitation off the fin. This cavitation causes drag which in theory cant be good. However practical application shows that skis do seem to be performing well in this situation.

• Administrators
I always thought it was caused by the holes in your fin being at that exact angle to make the noise. Nothing to do with the way a ski works