Water Ski History

Horton

• Administrators

Tom Davis has let me have his old data from TournamentWaterSki.com  First of all I need to really thank Tom for letting me have what I am sure took many hundreds of hours to build.

TournamentWaterSki.com is not out there anymore but BallOfSpray now all the old scores and rankings. http://www.ballofspray.com/history 

If you find some bugs…. Well like everything, it is a work in progress.

• Baller

Speaking of history, I stumbled on a book called " Hit It! " Very interesting 80 year history of waterskiing in the midwest.

Waterskiing was invented in Minnesotaaa ya know!! Pretty neat seeing people that I know mentioned. Maybe not the best writing style I've ever seen but written from the heart by a Mr.Robert "Red" Reichert.

I am glad that the information is still out there. I helped with a few bus several years ago. I have an extensive collection of WarterSkiers and WaterSki Mags. Even a few Sprays and World Waterskiing.

• Administrators

Ham,

I would love to get some scans from this old mags 

I plan to post the images I have - one or two go per week. I have a few years worth...

• Administrators

I have a video on tap to Tuesday that blows my mind. All the pros Horton Lake 1973! 

Unless some big news comes across, catch the front page in the AM.

Hambone,

I am always looking for fun historical stuff. I try to add one old image or story per week to the front page. What ever you have.

My Father use to have an old Maherajah, the one that had the big rubber tip on it. I have looked for pictures of it but cant find any. I think we got it back around 1971/72 era. I wish I still had it.

• Baller
The old "Sea Gliders" with baby blue bindings from the 60's are the combos of choice in my boat. Everyone loves them! These real wood skis ride like a dream, my only wish is that we should have put a mark on the bottom for everyone that learned to ski on them over the years, it would have been in the hundreds!

"Do Better..."

In the archives around the lake house: 1 Billy Spencer Lil Monster w/ Tournament bevel, 1 El Diablo, 1 Taperflex, 1 pr HydroFlyte Water Sprite Jumpers that were(are) my mothers with plate bindings, and double fins, 1 pr. Dick Pope Juniors ( wish I had kept up with the people that learned to ski on them, 1 Excel slalom, 2 MasterCraft Super Stars, 1 LaPoint O'brien Pro, 1 LaPoint O'brien Pulse, 1 LaPoint O'Brien Experimental something or another, 1 O'Brien G-3 Seige, HO Phantom, Monza, A-1, CDX,Pair of old Flea Jackson Hydro Flite Jumpers, Old rubber, hardware fins, decals, patches, and general stuff. I am a collector not a packrat!

Is there anywhere online that gives a history of the waterski industry? Like who were the first manufacturers, who started what companies, left and then started what new company? For example Herb O'brien starts O'brien Skis in 19?? then moves on (we have all heard stories why?) to form H.O. and then most recently formed Radar. Looking for similar history on all the major brands, Connely, Kidder (D3), Jobe, EP ect...

• Administrators
There is always a ton of old wood skis on eBay. There is a time I spent time on eBay thinking about building a collection but I just don't have the space or the money.