Which 1 to 2 year old ski?

kpickett

• Baller
So, I'm one of those guys who buys a 1 to 2 year old ski when you guys move up to the latest and greatest. Those of you who've skied the models just prior to the latest, any suggestions for the best of last year? I went from a Goode to a Monza to an F1 to a Prophesy. The Prophesy has gotten me around 3 ball at 35 (34 mph), but I have never felt like it's really the right ski for me, and I want to get through 35 this year. I really slumped on the Prophesy in the middle of last summer. I've never seemed to connect with the D3 skis, either - I'm not sure why. I'm 150 lbs., 55k skier. (I know to try before I buy - of course, that's harder with the recent used market.) I appreciate any suggestions.

• Administrators

There are two ways to go.... both are a lot of work

Go new and do the demo program fron H2oz

Go on a "buy cheap, try for a week and resell" streak vai Ski-It-Again. Try a lot of skis. Any of the top skis are fair game.  

• Baller
Thanks for the advice. Horton - I do the buy cheap and resell on Ski-It-Again.

MS - your numbers (a few years ago) made the Monza work for me, but I got a lot more consistent on the F1.

OB - Thanks. I'm 5'9", 150. I loved my Goode, but it freaked me out when it broke between the bindings. I'm a little gun shy about Goodes because of that. The mid-ride is interesting to me.

I am interested in trying the Strada. No calls for the Elite? That seemed to be the big ski a year ago.

• Baller
I will chime in for the Elite, Great ski! and it will last you a while with their RTM construction.

Both used Elite and Strada are on SIA for good prices some are even new going for steals. I second calling H2oproshop and talking with them. They will help you out with a demo, and right now they have some good deals I believe on some of their demo skis if you wanted to go the used route.

• Baller

Radar MPD is still a kick ass high end ski and you can get one for probably $150 - 200 in very good condition.  I got on the Strada at the beginning of last season and I love the ski.  However I rode an MPD for 3 seasons before that, got on it for a few sets at the end of the past season and it felt good as ever.  In all honesty I think I could ski as good scores on it as the Strada.  For that kind of money it's worth a shot?

Ed

• Administrators

Pickett,

The Elite is kick ass (MS, Not a word from you or I will ban you)

If you want to demo one... I have a few that belong to O'Brien. The problem is there are not any on the cheap. Even the back door deals are more than most anything on SIA. Sounds like you are looking for a ski that was $1200 now and now can be had for $600 - $800. That is not the Elite.