American Skier Volante 1997

jjackkrash

• Baller_
Skied behind and drove one back in the early 90's. Looked exactly the same. I remember it was easy to drive, and tracked well in course (course on a big wide open lake so big turns at the end). I remember it seemed to not "give" any skiing behind it. Small bump at 15 and 22. But that was compared to the boats back then. I dont remember any open bow being better in the boat buyers guides compared to it. I have the boat buyers guide from 1997 and all the way back to 92 and I know it's in alot of them and the guide was very useful back then. I can look it up if you'd like and report back. Will be back home tomorrow. I vaguely remember they were one of a few NO wood boats. And they held some high honer only award to high end yachts for quality of construction. But this is all off memory.

• Baller
Thanks Wish. Any info would be great if its not too much trouble. I'll probably end up with a bubble-back TSC 1 Nautique when I finally pop for a boat, but this one really caught my eye. I sure would not mind an open bow for family use, and this one looks like it only weighs 2400 lbs. I think that's pretty good for a 21 foot open bow.

• Baller_

The American Skier Vonlante report: 1998 WSM boat buyers guide back when it was a useful tool to have.

For manufacturing American skier goes beyond minimum Coast Guard standards. Instead goes for NMMA certification by the American Boat & Yacht Council. The only manufacture to do so.

Used aircraft structural foam as core material in the stringers and deck with traditional lamination schedule AME 5000 resins. Uses material called Trevira in the lay up for a 500 pound lighter, yet higher strength to weight ratio boat. Boat left in mold for 5 days assuring perfect shape.

Has a 4 gallon reserve tank. Cool

Compared 1998 Volante to a 198 Nautique 34mph stats: (similar stats at 36 for both)

>>>Volante Accelerates to 36 in 5.36 seconds 176 ft. Tracking= 90 (lower # the better), Wake size=Tournament , Wake hardness=World class, Spray=World Class (world class is one notch better than tournament)

>>>For the Nautique 197 TSC 1 Accelerates to 36 in 5.22 seconds 155ft. Tracking=94, Wake size=world class, Wake hardness=Tournament, Spray=World class.

Those are close stats if you ask me. I do remember that boat doing well with all the above. This was a boat I was considering in 2003 if I came across one but they are far and few between. I ended up with a 1997 Nautique Masters Edition 197. Questionably the best hull ever built even against today’s top 3. The Volante stood out as a top tournament boat and the stats prove it. It outpaced several closed bow models that year and several years after.

The pictures are amazing as to the condition of the one you’re looking at. The tower adds value along with the huge open bow (biggest in the industry). It’s a little off the radar in its name recognition but for resale the design and tower opens it up to a much wider market than the 197 by a long shot. 15 grand in my opinion is not that far off. Closer to 13 maybe. But, if you’re not a diehard must have Nautique slalom junky and like a boat that offers diversity while maintaining great slalom wakes this one may be for you. I would defiantly ski it and see. It’s got a lot to offer in terms of extras and condition and that would pump up the price of a Nautique of that year to 15. (WOW on the condition via pics)

HOPE THIS HELPS. Good hunting.

I remember this boat at the boat show in 98. Lucky Lowe was there and was a pro skier for American Skier. Cool guy, I didn't see much of the show, we talked for hours about him and the boat. He talked highly of the boat, I ended up buying a Malibu.

• Baller

Chad, thank you for the tip. I have an e-mail into Ron Tanis and may call him later. Wish, great info, thanks.

I also saw this boat while surfing the net that I may look into. I have an e-mail in to find about its hours and history. Its three years newer, a better color, and no monkey bars.

http://www.shastainboardsboats.com/Page.aspx/diid/3033310/list/InventoryList/pageId/30975/view/Details/2000-American-Skier-Open-Bow-20-Ski.aspx

• Baller
I received an e-mail back from Ron Tanis and the Volante sounds like a great boat. The boat down is Shasta sounds like its also in great shape and has about 600 hours, but its been run in the Delta, which is brackish. Does brackish water cause anyone any heartburn?