Hard Case for slalom/airline travel

Dirt

• Baller

I was talking to the Ball of Hair a few days ago regarding a hardcase that hinges open instead of the Sport tube style. I had a problem with TSA opening my Sportube and dragging my ski out on the floor. They didn't have any X-ray machine large enough so they had to hand search it. They would not let me re-pack it and just jammed it back in without the padding in the right place.

I saw these SKB golf club hard cases and thought they would be perfect if made longer with a different cut of padding. They seemed reasonably priced at $149-179 and were pretty light but sturdy. I contacted the company today and they would manufacture them but would need a minimum of 300 and could not give me a price. I bet one of the ski companies could do this in China for pretty cheap. Any thoughts?

• Baller_
my latest contraption for protecting my ski from the baggage handlers is a couple of 10" diameter pieces of green sewer pvc pipe.  I cut 2 pieces, one for in front of the binders, and one for the tail, glued a cap on the ends, and with a towel as packing it's good to go.  As long as the baggage cart doesn't run over the middle of my bag it's all good.

• Baller

Richard, are you putting that into a soft bag (i.e. Masterline) or is that it?  Just asking for clarification.  I've used a Masterline soft bag for about 5 years now and to date no issues.  I use 4" thin wall sewer pipe over the tail as a fin protector, put it in its regular ski bag, then wrap my life jacket around the center part, a beach towel around the front, then into the Masterline bag.  I've wondered about using large diameter sewer pipe over the ski but inside the bag as added protection.  Got pics?

Ed

• Baller

RD, that looks like a nice setup. Off topic but I have to ask. What differnces did you notice between the Strada and Vice? I have ridden both but not side by side or the same day. The Vice is much heavier but how did you think they skied with the same fin setting and bindings?

• Baller_
Ed - I was wrong, the sewer pipe/tube is 6" and fits great for the rear. The front needs to be 8", but the bell shape for coupling the pipes makes a "flare" that worked out ok.  The bag is an old KD roller bag, which gets filled with towels and stuff for padding/extra protection.  I need another piece of 8" with a cap, so that it would protect the entire front of the ski, up to the binders.  That will make the bag handlers really have to work in order to crunch my ski

• Baller

Thanks for the photo Richard, good info.  I'm thinking capped thinwall sewer pipe from both ends up to the bindings over the outside of the regular ski bag, into my Masterline travel bag with the life jacket around the middle for additional padding will be a step up from what I've been doing.  Cheap fix.  Thanks!

Ed

• Baller

I have had relatively good luck with the sportube, although sometimes I pack it with everything I have (ski, vest, handle, gloves, suntan lotion that is more than 3oz, towels, etc).  I have had the same issue with TSA because it is packed pretty tight, and once they open it they just jam stuff back in and sometimes don't get it closed very well.  It would be nice to have a fold open model that had a thin layer of foam-type padding on the inside while still leaving packing room for all the other gear that travels with us. 

Weight is the critical issue. You must keep it under the 50LBS or they will soak you.

I have been pretty successful with the sport tube and always watch the TSA when possible. Most large airports will have the equipment to run the whole tube through without having to open it up. But small locations will not have them and they always need to break into them. I always ask if I can watch them and answer any questions they have and usually have no problems with the TSA.

• Baller

For those leaving Siberia, Alaska or anywhere near MS, this is the best protection. Just leave your ski in a trough of water overnight and the water will freeze solid around the ski. Ice is quite strong (I could look up the modulus if Horton requires it). It protects the whole ski. The TSA can see through it without unpacking. And it is cheap. Just throw it in the lake when you get to Socal or Fla to unpack.

Of course the thermal expansion and contraction will change the fin measurement by more than .001.

You get extra points if you fly through MS's airport and he personally handles this style of hard case.

Eric

I have to live up to my banner!

• Baller
The Pelican cases are too heavy. I just UPS a FLIR back to the mfr yesterday and it weighed 76 lbs in the case. They are nearly indestructable but way too heavy for the airlines. The weight is right on the cases I posted above but it may be difficult to get somone to put up the cash to have them made. Dave Goode always seems to take the lead on these type products. I think he could sell a bunch of them if they are in the under $200 range. They would be so much better than anything else I have seen. We may need to find something fragile that is much more common than a slalom ski to make it feasible.

• Baller
Looks like that is the latest sportube rebadged for GOODE w/$30 bucks added for the name.  Unlcear to me if it clamshells open the length or if it also is sleeve inside of sleeve.  I suspect the latter based on the larger picture.