State of the Industry

lhoover

• Baller

Can anyone give us some hard specs on how the Big 3 are doing after such a disastrous 2009 and 2010?  Shane, you might have some inside scoop as your ski partner retails 2 of the 3.  How are their sales?  How were the Winter Boat Shows?  Will all 3 survive the next few years as we were thinking even 1, if not 2, might go under.  Thanks 

• Administrators

Malibu claims to be totally sold out /booked for 2011. (see your local dealer for a boat ) The factory is not as booming as 2006 but is working 4 or 5 days a week. Healthy. 

Radar also claims a lot of growth.

I think the rest of the industry is doing better than expected. I hear about some troubles but I do not think anyone is going away. We are seeing new products and money spent on marketing.

The Baller Survey will be published this weekend (maybe) and it shows that you guys are buying skis and boats.

Shane thinks there are still more crazy chicks our there. 

• Baller
At the depth of the recession when MC and Malibu were laying off, I was considering a MC 197 and the dealer was offering $25K rebate payable in 3 years from purchase date and willing to sell the boat just over $40K w/MCX and ZO.  I didn't bite because I was actually concerned that MC may not be there in 3 years.  Glad things are rebounding...though prob missed the deal of a lifetime. 

• Baller

Lowell, I was VERY impressed by MC's support of Charles.  They seem to have thrown everything at him in order to make him as successfull with them as he was with CC last year.  We had dinner with Scott Crutchfield and couldn't help but think that they have some good things in progress at MC after hearing his plans. What I noticed at the boat shows was that although traffic was down, people were buying more expensive boats. The $125k MC X55 is selling like hot cakes.  I do know that Charles still has issues at times getting financing approved on people. He said he can't get a $25k pontoon boat financed for someone with a fico 640 or less. 

• Baller
Very good news, Shane.  Hope all of the Big 3 weather these last few down years with some capital and some great boats for the future.  Love them all.  Mcski, what's up with figures that are confidential?  Just interested to hear of production numbers and retail sales across the nation.  Is that top secret?

• Baller
6balls, That rebate you spoke of was not payable by MC but by an outside firm. They actually purchased rebate agreements from a company that specializes in just that.  There were some VERY specific rules and if you didn't follow them to a T, you didn't get the rebate. That's what they were banking on. 

• Baller
Mcski, the world awaits your insight and I have the pseudonym to allow the internal secrets, codes, numbers, and mistresses to be made known throughout the skiing world:     mcwikkileakskiFreak    The world is now your oyster.  Proceed wisely, my friend, but with much haste.

• Administrators
As admin of this site and ski news junky I talk to a lot of industry folks. I promise that there is plenty of R&D going on right now. There is stuff going on. I cannot speak to bottom lines but no one I talk to acts like they are going out of business. The idea that ski and boat companies are currently on the brink does not make sense to me.