Goode Water Skis NANO "Twist"

Horton

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

E-Mail from Goode that the VW's I ordered just shipped and the Nano would be sent out by the 2nd week of May. Had to sign and return a Liability Release for the Nano. That was different.

Called them and they said they had so many orders that they would be working straight through Easter weekend......ED

• Baller
Any more updates or new reviews of this ski? I am interested to see if it lives up to the hype. How much better is it than the Mid? That ski was very popular. I don't know that I have heard anyone say they rode a Mid and didn't like it.

• Baller
Smart - you'll see probably a dozen Nano's at my record in June. The scores from that weekend will be telling. As for the liability release, waivers and releases are also referred to as "exculpatory agreements" because the sports participant "exculpates," or forgives in advance, the provider for future negligent conduct. The release or waiver of liability is, therefore, limited to negligent conduct. Accordingly, the participant does not waive or release any claims based upon the willful or wanton misconduct of the provider. Product liability cases are difficult to resolve regardless of the existence of an exculpatory agreement.

Well, I certainly can't touch that!

It's been a tough year for me. Hurt my ankle rock climbing (torn cartilage we think). Combine that with riding my old '06 X5 that is completely worn out, I think I only ran a couple 35s this year which is ridiculous. I was down a full pass and didn't really enjoy the thought of skiing.

First set on the Nano and I went right through 35 with no effort. That included running over a buoy which made me a little late going to 4 ball. No problem, ripped 4 and early at 5 and 6. Ran 3 35s with almost no effort. Had some good looks at 38, but only having tried it a couple times this year, my timing is off. I did have some nice starts though.

The thing I like about this ski is that it keeps the speed up at the end of my offside turn. All of the new skis do that for me on my onside, but this is the first that does it on my offside. My offside turn has always been aggressive and most skis stall at the end. This was putting added pressure on my ankle. The Nano just keeps accelerating.

Last year I was on a 63" Mid which was too short. It worked well till 38 then would shut down too early. It also did not accelerate out of my offside turn like this 65 Nano Mid. Too early to tell how it will be a 38, but I'm optimistic.

It was a white top MID. No nano. After watching all the frustration over the last 2 weekends, I would not want to try the Nano. Lots of skiers doing lots of tweaking to figure out the nano and not many good results. Chad is the only guy that has it going on that ski.

The mid was OK, it is a pretty stable ski but not as fast cross course as my Strada. I cant take the constant fin adjusting that it takes to keep up with the change in water temps. I could ride it if I had to.

• Baller

That picture looks way to familiar. I have had three of those in the last two weeks on the Nano. At first I was attributing this to the fact I was testing 3 different fins along with three ventral combinations. It always seems to happen coming off the apex without warning. Body position feels good but may be slightly forward when it happens.

Normally, on both the Wide and Mid, if I were to get way to forward and catch a tip, you would feel the whole tip load up, and you would break at the waist. What I think is happening now, due to the "twist" and different bevels, the bottom part of the tip is catching, causing the ski to pivot and spin around. I kept thinking it was the tail breaking loose but now I feel it is the lower part of the tip. That is why I never feel the whole tip load up pitching you forward. It is fast and violent, causing the ski and bindings to separate. My video looks just like the picture above, halfway through the crash. The worst part is it comes without warning, and I have never been in a bad body position when it happens. Really destroys your confidence.

The only other thing I have felt, just a couple of times, is a slight skipping of the tail at the apex on my offside. Like you are hitting three tiny rollers. I was always able to keep going though.

I would just like to know if anyone else is experiencing any of these characteristics with the Nano Mid. I noticed T-Gas had his skip out at 3 ball at 35 at the Masters final, when he looked like he was cruising it. He really had a surprised look on his face, just like I have had.

Thanks, ED

• Baller

@Ed Johnson - I've got a 63.75" NANO Mid and haven't had that happen yet. I've broken at the waist on the toe side a few times. But the ski never has blown out on me like the picture above.

As far as Masters finals goes, the right foot forward skiers had trouble at the 1 and 3 ball heading the direction T-Gas fell at. Willy went down at 3 ball -39 while looking great. He had a look of disbelief in the water. Karina struggled at 3 ball as well. She was first off the dock and looked frustrated not getting further. Little did she know that every skier after her would struggle as well. The two left foot forward guys in the finals finished 1, 2. All the ladies were righties.

The day before T-Gas looked great on his NANO and managed a full 3 buoys -41 in the run off.

Am I one of the only skiers who likes my Nano Mid? I have a 65" 188 AMP set at 29.25", 6.819, 2.445, 0.725 (Slot Caliper), 8 degrees, no ventral wing. I am skiing very consistent on my Nano so far and have not experienced any of the problems as mentioned in some of the previous comments above.

My Nano Mid seems to have great cross course angle compared to my 9900SL Traditional. I have recently changed my ZO settings from A1 to C2.

I am wondering if some of the above mentioned characteristics of the Nano perhaps are due to too much of a longitudinal twist than other Nanos.

• Baller

That pic above is me. I was coming into 4 ball at 38 really fast and late. The last thing that went through my head is "I'm late, gotta rip this turn" Didn't happen, kicked the tail out, but its wasn't the skis fault, it was mine.

Regarding Ed's comments, I do feel some of the exact things he described. If I get on the front too hard, I may kick the tail out as opposed to coming to a complete stop like other skis (and breaking forward). I also feel the tail starting to let go every now and then when I am pushing it too hard.

With that said, this ski rails a turn better than any other ski I've been on, and keeps the speed. It does hold very good in the turns but overdoing will kick the tail, where other skis come to a stop.

I am really liking my 65 mid Nano.

• Baller
After weeks of testing fins and ventrals, all of which I did at 32 and 35 off, I settled on three ventrals. The ski felt fantastic. The problem of catching part of the tip and blowing out the tail occurred when I went to 38, where the turn radius tightened up. The worst part was it came without warning, and I felt I was in good position. All I can do now is play with some more fin settings, plus try to get a lower center of gravity coming off the apex. Or change skis if it bites my butt again.