Junior Trick skis

jwr

• Baller
My 10 year daughter who hasn't like skiing so far, has decided she would like to learn to trick ski. I've been looking for a decent pair of tricks skis for her to learn on, I've been keeping an eye on ski-it-again. I haven't had any luck. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? trying to stay around $300 or less. Would like to do something fairly soon, before she loses the drive. My son started jumping last week, so I'm making progress.

• Baller
Watch eBay. I just picked up a pair of EPs with adjustable bindings for $50 plus shipping. I started my son on one trick but his sister isn't as good on one so I got the pair for her to goof around with. My son doesn't have enough tricks for two full passes right now so he might put a two ski run together.

• Baller
thanks. I've been checking out ebay, guess I haven't gotten lucky enough. I've got a 42" D3 I could probably slap a binder on, but she is going to need two skis for sure. I just thrilled she wants to try.

• Baller
She doesn't know how to slalom. I can barely get her in the water. That is why i'm so excited that she is showing any interest. I'm afraid learning to trick on one off the bat might scare her away. You just never know with kids. My brother in law and sister said the same thing, that I should try her on one. I'm just not sure she is ready for that.

• Baller

The boom is a great teaching aid. Regardless of what ski they use.

Two tricks are fun, probably worth having. But very limited in the long run.

D3 42" is a great beginner ski. Keep the boat speed slow and it will fit a kid fine.

I started my kids on a wakeboard. Make sure it has no fins or molded in ridges (note that the older and cheaper used boards often had flat bottoms. If not, grind the molded fins off the bottom to make it smooth). Mount the bindings symetrically duck footed. It is easy to learn a nice traditional trick run on a wakeboard. Kirk went to his first Nationals on a wakeboard. I taught so many college kids quality trick runs on a wakeboard before they changed the rules - now they suffer learning the basics on a trick and don't learn nearly as well.

Once she has the basics on the wakeboard, go to the single trick. Hours on the water just playing (double tricks with a friend and show ski moving pickups after a fall make it really fun for them).

Girls especially like toes. She has to be on one trick (that D3?) Get a Masterline Robbins release for that.

Have fun!

Eric

• Baller
My only fear with starting with one off the bat, is if she doesn't get up the first day she may not be willing to try it again. I have a wakeboard that I can take the fins off of, but she doesn't have any interest in riding it. I'm pretty sure she will be able to get up and atleast ski around on two, or on the boom. That may be all the initial success she will need to keep going.

• Baller

If she's really little and timid, a kneeboard might be the best starting point. It gets her used to getting pulled behind the boat. You can start her slow on her stomach and advance to near trick speeds on her knees where she can start executing real tricks. Two kneeboards and a friend on the water with her is more than twice the fun. It's hard on the knees when dad is the friend, but worth it.

Eric