Steering *$#!?!! cables

eleeski

• Baller

Why don't boat companies mold in a tube from the bilge to the helm dedicated to the steering cable? Threading the new cable through the mess of wires and tight clearance stringers makes installing a new steering cable a nightmare. Heaven help you if the string you tied to the old cable as you pulled it out comes untied (that was irritating). Steering cables fail all the time (my 2011 just failed!) and nothing makes a boat feel better than a new steering cable - replace the cable when you replace the impeller?

@MCskifreak This would be a far better advancement than any new hull design!

At least the open bow made access to the cable (and fishing a string through the bilge) much more comfortable.

Eric

• Baller
Are newer steering cables of lesser quality than in the past? I just replaced a shot cable on my '08, the first I've ever had to replace. The boats we owned from the 80's and 90's never needed new cables.

• Administrators

@eleeski

If it is not too late, could you set up a video camera before you start the cable replacement process. I imagine it being comedy gold. Honestly you are funnest when you are mad.

• Baller

Too late! I'm a little hoarse from yelling but I didn't damage anything! And I am a magician with the fish tape - even if I can't tie a knot. Otherwise that new boat might have a few new holes in it.

This is the first cable I've had fail like this. Perfect one second and almost unturnable the next. I figure one strand of the cable broke and was gouging the sheath. I think (hope) it is an isolated incident.

Normally the cables age as they corrode and gum up with salt (my water has a lot of minerals). I get a couple of years feeling like new and a couple of years where it is a bit stiff. Old cables I could help by pressurizing some ATF down the cable - that would get me an extra year. The new rack style cables don't lend themselves to that. Nothing makes an old boat drive like new like a new steering cable. My new boat again feels like it did a week ago - new! I certainly hope to keep this boat long enough to replace the cable in the future. I will carefully tie the knot in the guide string when pulling out the old one - but will still curse MC for not designing this better.

Eric

• Baller_

Too Funny!

Cable failure seems to run in phases. since Telelflex took over Morse the steering cable life expendency has gone to about 4 years on an average. I had to change out the cable on my 09 in 09!!

@eleski I'll keep that in mind with my designs. That is sad that the cable failed after a few weeks, we never had to replace the cable in the '88 that my parents had for 22 years. I am surprised that the boat doesnt already have at least one hole in it Eric!

• Baller_
Naughbor has a 07 LXi and it went from steering fine to could hardly turn it. It had been sitting for a few months unused but still. It's gone through that type of use to no use for a few months cycles for years without issue. Than decided to go bad. Really bad.

Replaced mine a couple of years back. Was a bit appalled at how poorly the new one was greased. Was able to completely remove the inner & grease it properly though. You'd swear the grease they used was liquid gold the way it was randomly spotted here & there.

Light wipe over with a bit of White Zinc Oxide grease & back in it went.

• Baller_
Well, I'm up for a cable change on my 97 SN 196. Word is I have to change the cable and helm to avoid paying big bucks for a matching cable that's not manufacture anymore. I'm thinking i can still use my tilt mechanism though. There's only a small $ difference between the two options. Newer cable is supposed to be better and last longer. Jody, can u help me with this. Any credability to what ive been told? I hate to make the wrong choice. Thanks and FYI, skier on a budget so any suggestions to save a few $ is appreciated. Planning to instal myself soon.

• Baller
I have a 1994 Ski Nautique. I have had to replace the cable once at about 800 hours. The key to a long life on the steering cable is keeping your bilge dry. I always pull the plug and drain the bilge after the boat is back on the lift, and I leave the engine cover open to get it dried out. Another thing that helps is turn the wheel until the inner part of the cable is exposed and leave it in that position while the boat is in winter storage. If you pull out your floor panel in the rear of your boat you will be able to see where the cable attaches to the tiller. There is also a grease fitting in the rudder housing which may need to be greased. A good cable may still feel a bit stiff in the cold, but if the problem persists when it is warm, then it is time for a new cable. Make sure your boat is completely dried out before putting it into storage. For the first month in storage I leave the engine cover open, and open up all the inspection hatches and panels. Hope this helps..

• Baller_

Wish, That is correct. I sell the 19' Extreem cable for $165.00 and the pinion assy (back mount) for $75.00.

It is a fairly easy upgrade and the Extreem cables seem to last a little longer but like an above poster posted keeping the bilge as dry as possible will increase the life of the cable.

If their is a interest I will be more than happy to put together a "Ballers Buy" on steering cables. however the lengths I can get are 19' and 21' sorry dont have a source on the 15' Malibu cables. I think 10 units would be the minimum.

• Baller

I think the diameter of the cables was shrunk somewhere in the early 90's.

The new smaller diameter cable does not stand up as well to the constant strain from slalom driving and rudder torques being used.

• Baller_
Think of steering cables like "tires", if tires lasted forever then tire manufacturers would go out of business. same with Steering cables and other componets in our boats. Teleflex cables were not sclaed down in the early 90's. company's like Correct Craft had their own properitery cable. first it was a plus 6" throw cable. then CC decided that they wanted to incorperate the larger big-T rotary cable into the rack platform. This cable actually worked really good until Teleflex merged with Morse. That's when the steering cable woes started to happen. Teleflex knows tht they have a longevity issue but If I were in the cable building business I think I would not build a product that lasts forever. I would have to agree with Eric in his thoughts of why dont the maufactures make for cable replacement and easier task? try changing a steering cable on one of these big wake hopping boats with the balast systems and monkey bars.

• Baller

Jody, a CC mechanic told me that when I had to replace my '99 SN cable after 200 hrs. The replacement is feeling a little stiffer after another 200 hrs and will probably need a change soon. Also replaced the steering mount. My old SN has >1,000 hrs on it and still in service. What he said seems to make sense to me. Whatever the reason, the "newer" cable is very inadequate compared to the rest of the boat.

I wonder why they accept failure when it could be catastropic if it snaps at high speed? I assume most just fray and get harder to turn so get replaced, but I have heard of some snapping. The potential liability would seem to be an issue they would want to avoid. ????

• Baller_

My experiance and to my own knowledge I have never heard of a cable just snapping at speed or under load. the problem with the current steering cables is the lack of enough lubricant in the case and or a tolerance issue. water intrusion and moisture seem to permeate and cause havoc on the cable also. I have cut and diseceted many a stiff cable and just found that it was dry and washed out, or the boat manufacturer did not install correctly with to tight a bend or incorrect off set at the rack. Too much rudder torque will also contribute to early failure. since I took the bulk of the steering torque out of the ski school boats at Cory,s we have been getting about 1200 hours out of a cable. One of the boats has over 3000 hours and only two cables. Also the lack of good rudder port service can disguise a percieved steering cable problem. Hopefuly when people or service techs check out your steering system they isolate the tiller arm from the cable and check for bind.

For all the Chicken Littles of the world! The sky is still up their!

• Baller
Jody, I have heard the 97 Nautiques do not have a greasing fitting on the rudder port, is this true for all 97's? Do you recommend installing a grease fitting if one is not already installed? Are there any other modifications to the steering you recommend for the 97 Nautique?

• Baller
Even if you don't install a grease fitting, dropping - cleaning - and lubing the rudder is pretty easy. I did it many times on my 2002 SN and it made a world of difference. Only replaced the cable once on that boat.

• Baller_

Yes Correct Craft did not install grease Zirks on the ports for a number of years. 97 being one of them. I would recomend that if you wanted to protect getting grease into the water way or should say lessen the chance. Replace the rudder port with one of the newer designed O-ringed ports that have greas-able zirk fittings. Modifications?

Just making sure that the steering system is correctly opperational and all parts are installed correctly. Some when they service their rudder port tend to not leave any end play and not enough grease under the tiller arm with the Nautiques. With amount of rudder torque that we are putting on these rudders now-a-days premature rudder port failure can happen. With the MasterCrafts the insert can be replaced with out removing the whole port. otherwise I tend to stay away from any modifications.

• Baller_
Hmmmm?? My 97 was purchased used. It has a zirk fitting. I do grease it ocationally when steering stiffens up a bit. Jody, since mine has a zirk, what amount or pumps to the grease gun should be used and how often?? Would it be wise to drop the rudder as suggested above and inspect, clean and grease or is the zirk good enough??

• Baller

Jody, I'll take a steering cable/set also. '97 Nautique. Shipping to the NW. Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, Kalispell, Whitefish, Conrad, Great Falls, Helena... get it dropped in here somewhere close and I should be able to find it. Seriously, how can I get ahold of you to work this & a couple other items out?

Jim

• Baller
Just put my Malibu in for the first time this season. Steering is so stiff I could hardly make it around the islands. Pisser is, I just replaced the cable at the end of 09, and it only has 1 summer (70 hours) on it! I kept the bilge dry, and it wintered in the garage. 70 freekin hours...I understand the concept of planned obsolescence, but that's just plain ridiculous

• Baller_
I just ordered a re-stock of cables 19' and 21' Extreme cables. I have a few inquiry/requests but not the 10 yet. If those that want to participate want cables next week they need to get their orders in as Next week We will be off at the Masters so orders will need to go out by Fri of this week.

• Baller
Thanks Jody. It turns out it is 15', and I ordered it this morning from a dealer in Denver so I can have it by Thursday. Not sure why I was in a hurry...it's currently snowing outside my office window, and the weather is supposed to be crap until Saturday.

• Baller_

This happining, cables are in! Floridainboardsatmsn.com I will send out an invoice you can pay by paypal,

need to know shipping address, what year and model of boat. again I only have 19'-and 21'cables.

Get your orders in today they will go out tomorrow.

My apology's if you have sent me this info already, but I have had the crud for two weeks and not keeping up on this project like I should be so if you want a killer deal on a steering cable please re-submit your order as I have Mrs. Jody here today and tomorrow to facilitate.

Cheers!

Jody

• Baller_

@Jody said "I sell the 19' Extreem cable for $165.00 and the pinion assy (back mount) for $75.00".

Jody. Is the above price the discount price? And what would shipping run?? I did email u my info but need to know approx total before it ships. Thanks again for you help.

• Baller_

That is what I normally sell these parts for, Ballers Buy $155.00 for the cable (19' or 21') and pinion back mount $60.00, shipping depends on where the heck you are!! DIM's price on that cable is $172.00 and $109.00 for the back mount.

• Baller
Jody, a while back you mention upgrading the rudder port on my 97 Nautique with a newer style that is maintenance free and does not need grease. Can you tell me where to purchase this type of rudder port and who manufactures them? In addition, yesterday I drove a 2008 196 and noticed the steering wheel had a larger diameter and it steered easier, do you sell the larger diamenter steering wheels?