Razor Review

Horton

• Administrators

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/stories/DSC_1833.JPGIn 2007, the Fisher #1 stormed the Independent Ski Tests. The test team was enthusiastic and excited about the new ski from Austria. Unfortunately, economic pressures and changes within Fischer took the ski off the market before many were seen in the US. In 2009, an updated version of the ski again became available under the name Razor.

In terms of technology, materials and construction, the Fischer and the Razor are identical. The Razor has a slightly modified flex but is dimensionally the same as the Fischer.

Some additional information about the history of the ski can be found at http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/2375
General feel:
The Razor is not what my father would call a “babysitter ski”. It is not a calm, relaxed, over-stable ski for the masses. It is a fire - breathing, radical angle generating monster slalom ski. It is different. It is aggressive. It is a fantastic short line slalom ski.
The current stock numbers accentuate these aggressive attributes but for this review, I used the old Fischer numbers. With the stock settings, I would describe the ski as overly aggressive. Angles off the ball are too radical which leads to exaggerated edge changes and loss of outbound direction. With settings closer to the original Fisher settings, the ski is more manageable, and its potential is more apparent.http://www.ballofspray.com/images/stories/DSC_1813.JPG Correction: It appears that the notes I had for the stock settings were out of date or simply wrong. Either way my final settings are at the bottom of the review.

Toe Side (Off Side) Turn
If there's one attribute of the Razor that is most impressive, it is the off side turn. The ski rides with a noticeable tip down attitude from the edge change the buoy. At the apex, the skier simply needs to initiate the turn for the Razor change direction back to the wakes. The resulting turn is surprising fast. If the skier gets over aggressive and tries to push too much, the tip of the Razor is surprisingly supportive. To some extent off side turns, on the Razor, are foolproof.

Heel Side (On Side) Turn
On side turns are similar to off side but perhaps slightly more tame and manual. At 34 mph I generally prefer to ski without a wing. Without the wing, on side turns required additional front foot pressure and were somewhat round compared with the off site turn. The addition of a wing at 8° brought the tip attitude of the ski down and made on side turns more consistent with off side. On balance, I preferred the way the Razor rides without a wing.

From Second Wake to Ball
Because the Razor is loose (definition http://ow.ly/51nAW) in roll stability, it changes edges very quickly. With the original stock settings the edge change was so aggressive that I was losing outbound direction. With the Fischer numbers, outbound direction is much better.

Because the ski rides with such a tip down attitude, it is fast to decelerate after the edge change. If the skier maintains line tension (Handle Control http://ow.ly/4UX2M ) out to the ball line, the Razor will achieve more than sufficient width. Skiers who struggle with this skill may find themselves narrow at the buoy. Skiers with good handle control will be rewarded with very long pre-turns and a wide approach to every buoy. Compared other high end skis, the Razor requires moderate handle control skills.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/stories/DSC_2164.JPG From Ball to Second Wake

The attitude of the ski exiting the buoy is consistent and dependable. The only thing distinctive is the lack of physical strength required to get from the buoy to the wakes. The ski gives the skier a distinct feeling of acceleration exiting the buoy.

Quirks
Some skiers may find that the Razor “hunts” or feels unsteady riding straight behind the boat.

I do not like to describe skis in terms of speed but the Razor is FAST!

The fin settings on this ski are critical. The wrong settings can make this ski feel uncomfortable. The ski can be set up turn so fast and take so much angle that the skier has no choice but to ski at the limit on every pass.

Closing Comments

The Razor is no longer the only RTM ski in the industry, but it is the only RTM ski that is built in a factory that has been refining the process for over a decade. For a skier, RTM means a ski that will potentially have a useful life many times longer than a conventionally built ski, and there will be greater consistency from ski to ski.

The owner of Razor, Volker Engelhardt, stresses that besides the winning design of the original Fischer ski, his biggest selling point is quality.

Cosmetically, the ski is simply beautiful and flawless.

I spent the first 10 rides on this ski worrying about writing a negative review. After fin adjustments and more time on the ski, I have come to believe the Razor is truly one of the best skis on the market. As my friend MS would say, “The Razor Rocks!”http://www.ballofspray.com/images/stories/DSC_2167.JPG

My Razor settings: (Thanks to Joe Darwin for helping me find these settings)

Front Binding: 29.5”
Depth: 2.445
Length: 6.880 (tips)
DFT: .743 (Head of Caliper) (.740 Slot Caliper)

Photos by Muffin

• Baller

Finally enough skiing in to feel like I know what I'm doing (weather been bad). The off side turns are AMAZING leaving me shaking my head in disbelief heading to on-side. This occurs almost regardless of late vs. early approach, whether I kept shoulders level or let my inside shoulder drop. As Horton says the tip support is fantastic.

At first I thought it may punish my tendency to overturn or take too much angle, but this is minimized as well because the ski doesn't stall...just takes it and goes like hell. Onside is coming along really well now, too. At first the ski was so quick in the turn it was beating my body mass out of the ball. Now got it going...if I move w/the ski amazing there, too.

Given the speed, had to adjust gates (thanks Razor1). Looking forward to better weather, more water time, and seeing where I may be able to go this season on the Razor. I haven't ridden a lot of different skis for comparison (historically D3), but it's sure worth a ride if you get the chance.

• Baller

Good review, John. I agree with the majority of your findings. It truly is a fantastic performing and well-crafted ski. My fin numbers/binding are a bit different:

Front binding: 29.375

Depth: 2.458

Length: 6.875

DFT: .650 needle

no wing

It's a shame you won't be riding it at my tournament in two weeks.

• Baller
I have loved skiing my Razor, but for me it requires a lighter form of skiing. I am strong enough that I can ski it aggressively, and it's awful fun to do it too! You can get sick angle out of a ball on either side of the boat, and end up so early for the next one that you could have a cup of tea waiting for it. However, this style of aggressive skiing is what I'm trying NOT to do. With the Razor, I find that if I just set my angle and then hold my position (never put on any additional load), then I get a rythm that is unmatched with other skis I have been on, and is essentially effortless. I can run pass after pass and never feel tired -- I quit because my driver gets irritated after about 15 passes! 6balls said something last night that made sense to me -- he said the Razor rewards good technique. I totally agree. Ski with a balanced position on the ski with light handle pressure and you will have a blast!

• Baller

I bought an original Fischer Yellow 68 and the stock numbers in the documentation that came with it were:

Fischer 68 Yellow

Length (Tips): 6.998

Depth: 2.454

DFT: .645

Wing: 9

Boots: 29.5

When Jody Fisher took over, his site had slightly different numbers and 1 degree less wing angle.

• Administrators
Grrr this is embarrassing .... but I made a correction to my review. I had notes on a scrap of paper for the DFT starting point. I am not 100% sure but maybe I measured DFT with the head of the caliper and not the needle. In short... I do not have that original scrap of paper but only know it was wrong. Lets say it is my fault.... does not matter. The DFT I used for the last 1/2 of the review was measured with the Head of the caliper & Slot Caliper. More important the ski was tested fairly in the end and is a Killer ski. The numbers I listed above are exact.

• Baller

I think I have heard this before? "The RS-1 will never leave my feet!" Radar Rocks"!

Followed by the A-1 and "HO Rocks!" Just Sayin." I am just not ready for "Razor Rocks!" Sounds painful and would probably require ice after the lobotomy. : )

• Baller
I took three sets on the Razor and it is a great ski. I did not spend the time making fin and binding adjustments. It felt really similar to the elite but a touch more stable and even on both sides. I wish Horton would have let me take it home and get it dialed in. If you have the opportunity to try one I think you will be impressed. It just falls into an amazing amount of angle.

• Baller

Finally weather and life allowed me to ski a few days in a row. Got to ski some w/Razor1. We're both on A68's w/Strada and RTP. His w/bindings 29.3, mine at 29.5, otherwise stock.

A few observations as I start to get more water time:

--I have terrible tendency to crush my 2 and 4 (onside), worse if I'm ahead. I've lost more lifetime passes to this than anything via overturn, loss of angle and late/narrow/fast to next ball. The Razor doesn't stall or overturn my 2,4 even if I commit the error. It's immediately under me w/tight line, tip support and at proper angle with no tendency to blow out. I'm aware I went for too much, but I'm not punished and blast to the other side in time to have tea and crumpets before the next ball. This helps negate one of my big technical shortfalls.

--the offside turn this ski produces is also helping negate a less common mistake for me (now that my on-side overturn/overload is corrected). If I should release too soon and end up narrower than I like into offside...a little knee bend, drop in the hip and the ski just rips a smooth, tight radius turn from narrow...again w/tight line and proper angle.

Looking forward to better weather and more sets...at least now getting into ski shape. The binding move to 29.5 was magic for me.

• Baller
After spending two weekends with "professional tinkerers", I started playing w/ the Razor settings again. I moved the fin forward to stock (.697 needles) and left the length (6.875 tips) and depth (2.456) the same. I moved the bindings forward to stock at first but moved them back one hole (28.875) and the ski performed well. As JTH said, it's not a ski you can just ride. You have to be engaged in the process. But when you are, the results are fabulous.

• Baller
.647 flat/head. After messing w/ slot calipers the past two weekends, I found I can repeat a flat measurement about as well as a slot. Using two different slot calipers, I came up w/ two different numbers. Therefore, I wouldn't rely too heavily on the slot caliper numbers.

• Baller

Ran 35's on the Razor behind a LXi. First day ZO, second day ZO on the fritz not finding GPS so used the PP classic in same boat. Didn't seem to matter.

Ski comes alive at 35. Able to ski very light, almost effortless pulls and still have fantastic acceleration. Early edge change, keep the handle controlled and just walk thru the pass.

Off side is fool proof. As for onside; one pass I made errors and hammered both 2 and 4 (think Mike Kjellander style), but was not punished for it at all. Great tip support, no blow out and off to the early 3 and 5. Cleaned up subsequent passes and was rewarded even more. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything this ski doesn't do well (you would almost think I'm on the take here, but I'm not!). I'm also really excited that it seems to be better as the line gets shorter...I've been given hope that this is the year I start running more frequent 38's!

• Baller
Skied Saturday and Sunday with 6balls. Was running my passes, but not like I want to run them. 6 balls says "change edges sooner -- you are still pulling off the second wake". I do that -- ah, magic. Why can't I remember to work before the first wake, and change edges at the second from one season to the next???

• Baller
JD -- the ski is fast enough that what it really needs is for you to get the edge changed early and then just ride it out wide to the ball and back in on the inside edge. I can run the passes holding the pull longer, but my speed at the ball is way faster than I want it to be. When I switch edges right off the second wake, almost "popping" up, I find that I am both slower at the ball and in the right position when I leave the ball. Now if we could just get it to stop blowing and raining!

• Baller
Warmer water messing w/me a little bit, too, in terms of timing. Had 2 really funky days after being on fire for 2 weeks. Definitely slower which one would think a benefit...but I was running really well on the cold stuff. Skiing it a little more aggressively now on the slower water and feeling good again. More front foot in the lean as well to get more ski in the water helped. Went straight thru 35 yesterday, then lengthened and pounded technique/timing over another 10 passes or so. Added a little depth to front of fin as well.

• Administrators
My man Charlie from SkiWest just set a personal best on the Razor Test ski. Not sure how he is going to explain to his wife that he needs a new ski. Seems "SkiWest lake 3" is becoming "Razor Lake West"