VINTAGE 68" O'BRIEN COMPETITION MACH 1 SLALOM SKI W/ BAG LIKE NEW. WALL ART!!??

I don't know anything about skiing, but found this little gem at a yard sale and the elderly lady begged me to take it as they were moving to a condo in town and HAD to unload all the old toys. The red storage bag is in perfect condition and the ski is in like 9.8 out of 10 perfect. Other than a few steel wool-able blemishes on the fin and a micro amount of missing paint on the logo on the the top of the fin, It's like it never been used. I'm going to start out at $100, since I saw a 66" on ebay with "issues". I might take less, but this thing would make the finishing touch to someone's office wall, fireplace, or workshop. I'll try to get a couple pictures up and show you what I'm talking about. Paypal is good. Shipping would be about $25 as you remember how heavy these wood skis are/were. Have no idea how old it is, was hoping a fellow forum member could help out with that part of it. Didn't see a serial number on it, but if alerted as to where it's spozed to be, I can provide that for sure. You can p-mail me at dimwittedmoose@cfu.net. If you are in the NE Iowa area, local pickup might be easier and my wife will be heading to Wisconsin later this month.

Thanks

DM&FS

Hi all -

I'm looking for another Mach 1 O'Brien Competition for a friend of mine's birthday. I'm not sure the year but it should be from the early 1970's; I think it is the first fiberglass water ski made. If anyone has one, or knows somebody who has one it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Baller

That ski shown is probably a 70 Model. It is Ash as were the 1966-70 years. Mahogany came later. They broke every set.

Waterskichick, the first of the fiberglass EP/O'brien were introduced at the 71 Nationals. They were white with a red racing stripe down them. The red and blue O'Briens were introduced later in the year after Herb and Denny split. The 73 model Mach-1's had an aluminum top. Good luck. I know where there are a few,but, they live in my attic.

I have one of the '73 Aluminum top - Red (fiberglass) bottom Mach 1 with the original red bags. Great contition for a 38 year old ski that was well used in the collegiate tournament circuit. It has a few handle dings in the top, but that just means I pushed a bit beyond my limits a time or two.

I would consider a serious offer. I'll post pictures tonight.

• Baller

Sorry for reviving another old thread, but God help me, I am an addict. I just bought a '73 O'brien Mach1 with a bag in excellent looking condition off ebay for $70. How could I pass up this classic ski that cost less than a pair of new gloves?

The guy in Florida emptying his garage into mine is probably a recovering addict.

@Horton‌ where can I sign up for that 12-step program?

• Baller

My ski arrived today! I've never been so excited about an old ski! It looks like brand new except for a couple small tip dings. I can't wait to try it! This is the ski that started my addiction so long ago. It didn't come from Florida, it actually came from Utah. @scotchipman‌ maybe you've seen this one in person before.

My wife's going to kill me ...