D3 RCX and Slot Fin??

ToddL

• Baller

Anyone skiing a 67" D3 RCX with a Slot fin? If so, what are you fin settings? Which wing do you use? How does this compare to the stock D3 fin/wing?

I'm just interested in any impressions from others before considering a switch to this fin...

that's my setup - except I have the slot fin with the built in wing. My settings are exactly what Schnitz recommended (can't recall off the top of my head). I had a hard time getting the fin angle right with all the other settings, but did manage to get there.

to me, it feels smoother than with a standard fin/wing. It also feels like the ski has more grab when on edge. I have a lot more confidence with the slot fin than the standard. I don't generally ski on a course, so I can't make comments about making up time, or casting out after the second wake, etc. Suffice it to say that I like it and don't want to go back.

• Baller
I had a slot fin on my RC and liked it. It was just the regular slot fin, not the speed slot fin. I set it up per Schnitz's numbers on his website. I would definately try it, improved my offside and overall felt more stable.

• Baller

Slot fin arrived yesterday. :) Hope to test it out later today. Tourney tomorrow... not sure if I want to dive in head first with the new fin at a tourney!

FYI: http://www.schnitzskis.com/finswings.html

SLOT FIN SET-UP (warm water)

LENGTH 7.116 = 6.542 w/tips (to the cutout where the fin goes up into the ski about 3/4" forward of the tail)

DEPTH 2.5605

FWD-BK 7.932 (1/16" forward of tail)

Wing down below the screws at 9 Degrees to start (file the screw ends flush). Add or decrease wing angle, and/or move binding(s) before deviating from these numbers. Adding wing angle is like adding tip. Moving bindings forward is like adding tip.

For cold water, I recently skied Denver after skiing the hot Florida water. I moved my fin back 25/1000ths to get somewhere close to the same performance.

• Baller

Well, I had gotten myself in a bad habit. A good while back, I was reaching forward and looking down at my offside turn causing the ski to stall a bit on my offside turn. I had taken out fin tip to the point where I could get away with this technique and still exit the turn in "ok" position. This appears to have been a crutch for my bad habit. The slot fin slapped me in the face and said, "Don't do that!" I decided to go back to the standard fin for now while I reprogram my offside turn. I've slowly adjusted the fin from very little tip back towards stock. I've got my head up and looking down course during the edge change and turn. And man... does my offside look and feel so much better. I still switch to my old habit when I scramble. I need more reprogramming!!! I can't wait to get through this transition and then put that slot fin back on.

When I skied the slot fin, I immediately felt improved tracking across the wakes and width at the buoy. The onside turn was great, but it already was great on the stock fin. I think with the proper, heads-up position into the offside turn, the slot fin will reward me greatly. Can't wait!