stuffing box packing material

454SS

I have centurion elite that is dripping from the stuffing box more than it should I figure its only a matter of time so re-pack it now. Problem is I don't have any idea what type or size of packing material to use. Anyone have any advice???

Depends on the size of the drive shaft. On a 1" drive shaft, the packing rope size is 1/4". On a 1.25" drive shaft, I believe it's 3/16".

This should help with the process.

www.tylerskiclub.com/stuffingbox.html

Some people spring for the Gortex packing. In my experience, the plain old flax stuff last up to 10+ years and ran me about $0.40 the last time I bought it.

• Baller_
I have seen the Gortex stuff dry up just as fast as the plain ol rope. If you want something modern and dont want to mess with shaft packing ever again install a dripless seal. OJ has a nice one called an XPC seal, Retail on it is around $160.00 I am sure you can get one cheaper. Or $0.40 for rplacement packing and get back on the water!

Brent I contacted ski dim they were very helpful in determining the right size material to get for my boat. east tx skier great link, very helpful for someone like myself who has never done this before.

• Baller
I repack my own stuffing box on my 1994 Nautique. I would just go to your dealer and buy the rope and the wire. Make sure you get all the old stuffing box rope out before you put the new stuff in. You will need to cut it into three pieces to make 3 rings around the driveshaft. When you put the rings inside the stuffing box, put the spot where the ends of the rope touch when it is wrapped around the shaft at 12 O'clock, another at 6 O'clock, and another at 3 or 9.. Once the packing is in place tighten down the big nut until it is only dripping 2-4 drops per minute. Once you get it to that point, tighten the smaller nut up against the bigger one, and use two pipe wrenches to torque it in place. There is a spot to tie the fitting up with wire as a backup. Allow extra slack in the wire you you can take it off and reuse it. Check it again in a week or so depending on how much you use the boat. It may take a while for the packing material to swell up to properly seal it. It is better to have too much water coming through than not enough. If it gets too hot it will wear out the packing, and could also damage the driveshaft. I always do mine while it is in the water.