GOODE Powershell Release

gjohnson

• Baller
It looks like the ski was completely out of the water with plate attached, and the landing of the tail caused the release. I had a similar fall a few years back and the plate "stuck" way too long and cut short my season at the end of July. This video might be slightly premature release, but I wish mine would have done the same a few years ago. The skier was out of control, and I would take the plate releasing over not any day.

• Baller

Reasonable release. The release did not appear to cause the crash. With double boots the crash looked survivable without any release. With the single boot, the release looked fine.

Was he (and the duallock) OK enough to pound it back on and take another crack at the pass?

Eric

• Baller

@MS He just said he was O.K. Later on we stepped through the crash frame by frame and the plate was intact when the ski reconnected with the water surface. It appears that the binding released when pressure from his body's momentum caused the release.

I have roughly 50 sets on my powershells and they haven't released. Nor should they have for that matter. I'm pretty confident in the holding power.

I posted the video mainly because I like the yard sale.

• Baller

Good timing on this thread. I just picked up a 9800 and a universal plate to mount my Animals to and the plate released on me at the second wake of literally my very first crossing on the ski. Now obviously I'm doing something wrong in how I set it up, but to be honest I now have zero confidence in using Interloc, period. It kinda scares the crap out of me. I had clear Interloc on the ski and the plate has black. Any suggestions from people on how I can do this right?

As a somewhat side question... what would happen if I drilled a 9800 rather than used Interloc?

Thanks,

Mike

• Baller

mlange, yes you are doing something wrong. If you are on Animals, I assume you do not want the plate to release at all. Use 400 on the plate and 250 on the ski, and cover the entire area with interloc.

You don't want to drill the ski. Skis that have inserts or that can be drilled are re-enforced with blocks or additional material. If you strip it out, you can ruin your ski.

• Baller

Boody may be correct about reinforcement for mounting screws but if you drill the ski and the screws strip out how does that ruin the ski? I've stripped hundreds of screws out of my skis (misplaced the reinforcement on some of them, underdesigned the rest). After I strip out the screws for the first time, I install bigger screws. When those strip out I install inserts. A couple of my inserts have stripped out - then I go with an oversize insert. In the absolute worst case, I glassed a couple of layers of fiberglass to do an external reinforcement over the stripped screws.

Kirk's Goode 9800 without inserts was limited by the factory warranty to 6 or 8 screws. I put 4 screws in at the ends of the plate to insure that the duallock wouldn't release (he was using Animals then and pure duallock prereleased too much for him and got worse with each release). Kirk's Animals were on a reasonably light single G10 plate with the recommended duallock. The ski held up fine with the screws.

Than sent me a "defective" 9600. A little JB weld and the cosmetic delaminations were dealt with. Set up bindings in his old screw holes and the ski rocked. Until the bindings pulled out from stripped screws. Installed inserts and had a great time playing Horton and testing the ski with lots of sets. Until Lisa said I should quit building skis and just ride that one - ego crushed. I never listen but many Goode features went into the next ski I built. That old Goode is my high level guest ski now (thanks again Than).

Extra plates and duallock are heavy. You are spending a lot of money to get an ultralight Goode. Don't detune it with leaden bindings. And don't ski with a setup you don't trust because of worry about the longevity of the ski.

As an aside to Mike, make sure the EVA rubber on those bindings hasn't stiffened up to where it won't release. My Animals stiffened up to the point where they would not release normally. Swiss cheese holes in the EVA softened them up enough to work again - but eventually I did switch to hardshells and put Kirk on RS1s.

Eric