Razor review from "average joe skier"

Wolfeie

• Baller

One of the added benefits of being a owner at Ski West Village in Bakersfield (besides great skiing conditions) is that John Horton calls Ski West his "unofficial home lake." Through John I have been able to test drive many different skis over the years. Many of which I have purchased after riding them. To give you a quick bio....I am a typical weekend warrior, trying to get as many sets possible over a 2-3 day period each weekend from March to November. I am 55 years old 5'10", 180 pounds in excellent physical shape. I don't compete, however my average "off the dock" ball count is 2 @ 35 off, 34 mph. My PB off the dock is 2@ 38. I have been riding various Radar skis over the last couple of years.

This weekend I was able to jump on the Razor after hearing so many nice reviews on it. The first set ( six passes at our lake per rotation) the ski and I were learning each other just riding it down the lake at 22 off the first pass not worrying about buoys. Then as I felt more comfortable on the ski, I ran a 22, a couple of 28's and a 32. The ski felt very stable and fast across the wakes, and the ski turned on a dime on both sides. I could not find anything negative to say regarding this ski. I felt a little more line pressure since the Razor had a wing on it and I have not been skiing with a wing for many years. After only six passes I could tell this was a ski I would be interested in purchasing, It felt light on the water, tracked great and turned without a lot of effort. With this ski if you maintained your handle control and body position it did the rest.

On the second set I was able to take eight passes, and I got deep into 35' off three times and ran the 35 off on the last pass. On my third set I ran 1.5 at 38 off the dock. Over the weekend I probably took seven sets on the Razor. I am a left foot forward skier and I do not remember having even one bad "one ball" all weekend. With this ski I can see running 35 off the dock much more often and starting to nible a little deepeer into 38. I did try one set without the wing per John's suggestion, but felt much more comfortable with it back on the ski. This is a ski I would certainly like to add to my ski collection.

• Baller
I agree with what you said on handle control and body position. The ski doesn't need you to work very hard for it to do exactly what you want it to do. Just stand tall over the bindings, lean, maintain light handle pressure and the ski does the rest.

• Baller
I agree as well. After playing around w/ different settings, I went back to the original "Fischer" settings w/ a little length out and the ski came alive. It gets out to the buoy line faster than any other ski I've ridden. Perhaps some of those skiers who had unfortunate cracks/breaks this past weekend should try one.

• Baller

All of us probably justify our purchase decisions to some extent...but I have also been extremely impressed thus far. I was running 80% or so practice 35's last year (same in tourneys) and once in a while I could get out of 38(not in a tourney). Difference on the Razor vs. my beloved D3 RCX is that I'm making 35's in head/tail, crosswind with bad back wash, cross/head/tail combo on buddies course w/no pregates, ZO/PP/SG, serious mistakes, no difference. Bad one ball, still run it. Over crush 2,4...still run it.

I'm really looking forward to some more ski time and some decent conditions b/c I really feel like I might be able to rock 38 on this ski once I have the water time to get dialed.

And as to quality...no breakage, my binding screws for some reason stay tight all the time, the fin is machined perfectly with no gaps. I have to think the RTM will get me at least one more season than standard.

High end slalom is a tough and crowded market with many quality products available...the Razor is worth your time.

• Baller

rq0013....I have not had a chance to compare the Razor to the Strada, although talking to John they sound pretty close in comparison, I certainly would like to. The current Radar I am on is one of the 60? skis

that were made out of the Senate mold (a little wider) with the Strada

materials.....I still don't know what to call it. It has been a great ski, but it may be time to move on as I get on shorter line lenghts.