Suggestions for a new ski

akale15

• Baller

I am currently on a 67 Connelly Concept and am looking to purchase a new ski, something a little more aggressive and a lot lighter weight. I free skied a F1 this past weekend and really liked it but am looking for other suggestions about skis to look into. I have heard a lot of good things about D3's but do not know much about them. I really liked my Concept and it was great to begin to learn the course with. I am just starting to get into 34 mph and would like to be at 36 by the end of the season. Was curious on your thoughts.

thanks

• Baller

I am with jdarwin on this one. You can't beat a used D3. It'll get you where you need to go.

And this is coming from a black n orange skier.

be wary of any skis that are "hot" or "the ski". fad skis come and go, just like that white top RS-1. Most bought and re-sold ski on the internet EVER. their new ski is heading in that direction too.

• Baller

I don't think you could go wrong with a D3 or a Strada. If you want a very affordable Strada, buy a Vice. I think Horton will 2nd that. He rode my Vice and was super wide and early.

Scoke sold one of his houses so he could buy more Goodes. I heard he ordered one in each of the four new colors. He quit working on technique and just calls in for fin moves. With that said, I am surprised he would recommend a D3.

• Baller
akale15, weight? You can probably get away with riding a ski that is a little larger for your size in a D3 as they tend to be a little softer. If you are over 180lbs you should be alright. The X5 is probably the best ski, hands down, for getting serious in the course on a stable and predictable platform(in my opinion).

• Baller

RCX runs really nice, too...I found even better than my X5 Pro before it. Mine was a 67.5....I was a 36 mph skier at the time at just over 200 lbs...so I would say shorter at your weight. Ski took me thru 35 off at 36 mph, unfortunately never at a tourney.

Always liked KD and D3.

• Baller
155 lbs - look for a 66" D3 in either an RCX or Z7. Again, you are just starting to run the course. You need a stable platform that allows for mistakes. Perhaps the Strada would be a good choice in subsequent seasons but for now, D3. Period.

I agree with scoke, JD, and Shane. D3 best option

I started skiing on a D3 4-5 years ago and my tourney averge was a couple buoys @ -28. I am still riding D3 and my tournament average now is 4@38 (58k) and I have run 38 about a dozen times in practice. So it is a great ski for beginners and shortline

• Baller
what is the difference between the D3 Nomad, or a RC, or RCX. then what is the difference say between a the z7 or z7st or a x5, and x5 pro?? do any of them have any more noticeable features that makes one better than another?

• Baller
Avoid the white top Nomad - from 2006. The RC was made in 2007 (great ski). The RCX was an attempt at improving the RC - still a good ski. The Z7 was D3's attempt at making a "fast" ski. Denny stepped back into the game w/ the Z7ST - again, a great ski. The X5 is the most stable of the bunch but not quite as "fast" as the RC/RCX/Z7 and yet, I've pulled a skier thru 39 on an X5 so what do I know?

• Baller
thanks...i am still looking. was just looking at a 06 white top nomad but for $225 i felt i could do better and find a x5 or something within the next couple weeks. was hoping to find something for this weekend but things arnt looking so good. wont get to ski for almost 2 weeks after this weekend so i will hopefully find something then...