Wiley's vs HO Animals vs Radar Vectors

Justin_C

• Baller
I'm looking at new bindings and am wondering people's opinions on the HO Animals, Wiley's and the Radar Vector boots, both as double boots or with a rear toe. I've been skiing on O'Brien Contact bindings so they're quite similar to the Animal's but I'm kind of leaning towards Wiley's for the price tag and safety. The Radar boots just look kind of nice but I don't know what they're like as far as performance. Opinions?

• Baller

I swtiched from Wiley's to Vectors b/c my Wiley's were starting to crack after 5 years.

Wiley's are a solid and proven design. I came out everytime I took a crash. Never once had a foot/ankle injury. Front Wiley's are closed toe, while the rear is open. They're really heavy when compared to other bindings, but need no maintenance. The can have a tendency to cramp your foot if you happen to fall in between sizes. I needed two different sizes for the front (m) and rear (l). You do need soap to get in and out.

Vectors are new this year. Vectors have 2 bungee laces on the front. I seem to have less consistency coming out of them as I'm now recovering from an ankle injury (rear stayed in on a crash). Don't let that deter you however...it was a nasty OTF (buried the tip) and I'm not sure any binding would have helped me. Front and rear are open toe and interchangable - the only thing that is different is the plate. The feather frame is an interesting design (my wife has it on her Prime boots), but I went with the regular aluminum. I think the quality has been good. No soap necessary. This is a less aggressive bidning compared to the Strada's.

If I were to recommend from your list I would say go with the Vectors.

I have a vector front/rtp set up. I have skied on approaches and animals before, both are nice bindings but I would say go for the vectors as well. They are extremely comfortable, relatively safe (though not as safe as the Wiley's), and if you lace 'em up tight the perform just as well as any boot I've been on.

However, if you have the cash, go for the Stradas, I haven't heard a bad thing about them yet.

I ran double animals, XL, for about 8 years on a CDX. I have size 11 feet but very wide. I have always had cramping in the front width of my foot, to the point that I'd end my set early especially when it was colder. I think is is due to the rubber boot applying constant pressure to the foot, like having a tight, relatively inelastic, rubberband around my foot for 10 minutes. I switched to the Vector's (on an A1) because of the lace and width adjustment and I have no pain, incredible improvement in comfort for me. The skiability of the boots feels good as well.

I'd go Wiley's over Animals. The closed-toe really makes a difference. The Wiley's gets the same level of support using much less squeeze than an Animal would use.

By feel, the Vectors are about 3/4 of the way to being a Strada. I've tried them on but not tested on the water. It feels like most of the fit and performance will come from the sides fitting close to your foot. It also felt like the laces do more to control heel-lift, and would have a much smaller impact on performance. That may be totally different in practice.

I went from Animals, to Wiley's and now on Strada. I was injured on the Animals, the Wiley's gave me piece of mind for a year, now the Strada is definitely the way to go. This forum help me decide to go Strada. I feel they are safe if you properly lace it, I do eject when they I need to. I highly recommend.

• Baller
I skied on Animals and a RTP for many years. Switched to the Vector and RTP this year. I chose the Vector because I've tried hard shells and couldn't ski on them and was afraid the Strada boots would have a similar effect as the hard shell. The transition to the Vector is very easy. Just don't tighten the top tensioner too tight or it won't release. I prefer the Vector to the Animal, and almost wish I would have gone with the Strada. During a long set, my foot doesn't cramp like with the Animal. I have a size 10 1/2 to 11 foot and Trevor at Marine Products told me to the the std. (med.). I was very skeptical about the sizing. I thought I would need a large. He was right. A large would have been too big.

• Baller
I can only comment on wiles. I have them on my slalom, jumpers, and trick. I love them and have no desire to try any other binders. Never gotten hurt in them. They are very comfortable. I don't even need soap to put on my slalom or trick. Wiley has great customer service and are easy to repair if you need too. They don't pre release. I could go on.