Anyone move to a Reflex this year?? Thoughts?

rq0013

• Baller

My RS1s are about done and I was thinking either of getting the 2012 stradas or to get a reflex front. Has anyone had mass improvement when going to the hardshell? There seems to be more maintenence with the relfex binding.

A buddy of mine switched to reflex and increased his avg about 5 bouys and he said he couldnt have done it without the relfex he thinks. He says he gets the ski on more of an edge easier.

Would it be possible to run a strada really lose for the back boot?

• Baller

Switched some years ago and never looked back.

As a reference, I am still using the same original shell, have had the Carbon plate for more than three years now and I did switch to the new Silvretta 500 an all steel horseshoe two years ago.

• Baller
Ditto with all the above. Awesome edge control. Mine is going on 5 seasons, and all original parts still look good. Not much in the way of maintenance. I tried Stradas, but they just didn't give me the edge control of the Reflex.

• Baller

I have been on double Stradas for 2 seasons now but have wanted to experiment with a stiffer set up of late. I just had team malibu make me a sweet double boot set up. Reflex front with Silveretta 500 and the rear reflex half boot. This is all on his new "thin 10" plate. There is a big difference between the two systems. Initial thoughts were as follows.

These things are not as comfortable as my Stradas.

Huh, I thought the 1/2 boot on the rear would feel funny... but I don't notice it.

Whoo I can generate some angle on my toe side lean.

Man, if I screw up the edge change I really pay for it.

I only rode them for 4 sets before going back to my Stradas. I have some tournaments coming up and with school back in, the evenings getting shorter, etc., I don't have a lot of water time right now to be playing around. It would take to time to get used to the different set up. More importantly I don't know if there are any real advantages or just differences. Overall my impression is that the Stradas will be what I stay with.

I have the r style rear, I added a bungee to make it a little more secure. It is a half boot fixed to the ski. I thought about running a strada boot on the back, but I thought as thick as the strada is you wouldn't be able to get the spacing very tight between the front and back boot. I would think that the toe of the strada boot would block the release of the front boot from working properly. I have gotten to where I really like the r style on the rear, but would be curious to try a strada if possible if I could keep the distance close.

@Bruce55 how close were you able to mount the rear boot to the front boot when you had the strada on back?

For what's its worth I'll throw my 2 cents in, I have both systems and am one of those guys that loves to tweak with stuff.. Originally bought RS-1s skied them liked them! Then bought Reflex front 404 with carbon plate added Wiley rear boot skied it for a while never could get it that dialed in for me too much rear heel lift. Went back to RS-1s then upgraded to Strada boots loved them felt like old pair of sneakers and trusted them that I would come out both feet in a fall! Decided to give Reflex another go with rear Strada was able to get boots close enough but Reflex release was snug against back Strada, skied fine just didn't trust that I would release very well so went and made a R style rear Reflex half shell boot which also has bungee added and 2 bottom buckles with my front Reflex system, I kicked my rear R style boot up about the thickness of 10 pieces of duck tape for a little heel lift. Ive skied this setup a handful of times and liked it, but back on my Stradas right now. At first I was running my buckles pretty snug on my Reflex which later have found that I only really need to snug up my center buckle with the most tension I leave the top cuff buckle just as it starts to add pressure same goes for the bottom buckle.. Currently I'm back on my Stradas just feel really good can't tweak them much but like they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I guess..

• Baller
@travnews- I was experiencing the problem you described. Last weekend I tried setting a rear strada in the same point on my ski as my normal rear D3 high wrap. When the Silveretta release was locked, it pressed down on the top of the Strada and was smashing my toes. It inhibited the release slightly, but I think it would have released normally given the forces involved. Sold my Strada yesterday, and am expecting a new D3 in the mail tomorrow.

• Baller

After too many ankle injuries with my Animal front binding I switched to a Reflex this year. I have a rtp which works well with the Reflex.

It took me a while to get used to it but feels nice now. On the new boots they do not allow you to bring your knee behind your ankle which I miss on my starts. I am planning to cut the rear of the cuff at the bottom to have more front to back movement. If you compare the old boot to the new one it is easy to see how much less movement there in on the new one.

One of the great things is not crushing my feet in the rubber bindings anymore.

having been on Reflex for nearly 5 years, for me, the ankle flex is to much with no resistance. (hear me out) The boot has to max out in a forward flex until the release allows it to pop. in other words its your Achilles that is the resistance.

if you don't have allot of achillies flex/post tib you can get messed up in a slow OTF.

• Baller

@travnews - I will be cutting mine at the bottom of the cuff to give me more front to back movement but I have heard of people cutting the top instead. It might take me a couple of week to make the chop. I will post some photos as soon as I can.

I have ordered a replacement cleat so that I can try the old boot first to see how it feels before cutting my new 2011 one.

Were you thinking of cutting the top

• Baller

I was on RS1's last season. Began this season with FM Evolution's (for sale, I like, kept losing screws, my own insecurities and running very loose) switched to Reflex front with r style rear. First set or two was a little awkward fore and aft, didn't get up the first time...lol. I was not a fan of the Reflex liners, switched to an Intuition front and a liner I got from H2Oproshop in the rear. I added the lacing; got the idea from a pair that were for sale on SIA. I run the rear buckles real loose, but the lacing real tight so it feels very secure. The front is great, very secure and responsive. I have not been in a situation for release, nor have I pre-released. I am running din of 4, I am 5'9 175, 34mph

As far as gains, tough to say if it was just the bindings, have to give propers to Brooks Wilson and our local stud TB and switched to a D3. (PB 6@ 22 prior to Reflex, 2@32 on them) I can only say that I have lots of confidence and comfort.

• Baller

@travnews That is exactly what I did. If I remember I started punching with a small drill bit, then worked way up to a screwdriver, holes not that big at all.

No, I did not reinforce the holes, they do not show any sign of wear either.

Yes, it is bungee type lace. I ordered the lace and front liner from jagersport.com Had to match the z7ST.

I can put the rear liner on, then just slip into the R style, very easy and comfortable.

I was originally on Animals/HO Phantom at the beginning of last season, then after deciding how great slalom is bought Senate/RS1's. I was always searching for the support that the Animals gave me, I over tightened RS1's and got hurt at end of last season, my fault. All dialed in now.

• Baller
Well i tried a friends reflex binding on my 2012 strada and did not like it. I know it takes some time to get use to but I didnt feel like anything could be better. The shell didnt seem any stiffer to me than an RS1 binding or an obrien elite

• Baller
Well i tried a friends reflex binding on my 2012 strada and did not like it. I know it takes some time to get use to but I didnt feel like anything could be better. The shell didnt seem any stiffer to me than an RS1 binding or an obrien elite