FCC Cell Question

EF23

• Baller

Having a second person help definitely makes it easier. I did it once by myself, must have gotten lucky or ate spinach that day.

Find the correct size oil filter wrench, one person apply solid pressure to the wrench (pulling towards the bow), the other tap the wrench with a hammer, should loosen without an issue.

Put the wrench on towards the middle/top of the FCC. Do not worry about the wrench damaging the FCC, it can take much more pressure than an oil filter.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Is it the screw on or clamp? If the screw on you might have to remove it and put it in a vise & use a pipe wrench. Work it back and forth till it breaks free. If it moves a little then gets tight reverse direction then go back at it again til free. I used a cloth to limit the teeth marks. You can re-paint it and get a cool sticker to cover any damage. Mine was so tight a marine shop refused to try it. When you replace it cover the threads with anti-sieze. I was worried about getting the anti-sieze in the gas so go light.....900 hours later no problems with that. I still each time have to use a pipe wrench while it is mounted...no teeth marks now but new paint and sticker each time.

• Baller_
Oil filter wrenches rarely work with out breaking, have seen guy's even use two and break them both. I utilize a very large pair of Vise grips to break them loose. try and get the jaw's as close to the top near the threads as possible when breaking the unit free. when you replace the bowl apply some anti sieze compound on the threads for ease of future removal.

• Baller_
I did the the duel oil filter wrenches and there was two of us on them trying to break it free. Felt like the wrenches would break but the the FCC gave up fist. Of course after reading this thread Im kicking myself for not applying anti seize compound. CRAP!!

• Baller
I had to change the HP fuel pump on my 97 SN last year. I don't think the fuel cell had ever been off. I tried using an oil filter wrench, and two strap wrenches at one time. Neither of those techniques worked. I bought a chain wrench for about 28 bucks. It did the trick.