S-2 Fin Settings

hogexpress

• Baller

Got these numbers from Dave W. at HO 6.890 tips 2.490 .740 Flat 9 degrees. The ski was fast but had a tendency to easily overturn....I used the Sans Rival numbers 6.750 Jaws 2.50 .730 Slot with fwd Mini Ventral and rear Large Ventral set to 7 degrees, all tips down. Works extremely well.

Plan to try the Carbon Fin off the Sans Rival today to see what effect that has.

• Baller

Got these numbers from Dave W. at HO 6.890 tips 2.490 .740 Flat 9 degrees. The ski was fast but had a tendency to easily overturn....I used the Sans Rival numbers 6.750 Jaws 2.50 .730 Slot with fwd Mini Ventral and rear Large Ventral set to 7 degrees, all tips down. Works extremely well.

Plan to try the Carbon Fin off the Sans Rival today to see what effect that has.

• Baller

Keith,

The S-2 is the easiest ski and most forgiving I have ever been on. It feels more like the Nano Mid as far as speed and being light on the line. It does turn quicker than the Nano. In fact, if it has one fault, it would be that it is easy to overturn. You can tune that back though.

The Sans Rival SR-2 should come with a Warning Sticker that says, "FOR SERIOUS SHORT LINE SKIERS ONLY." It is a different ski. Very unstable when you come out of the water to the pullout. Once you are on edge it is great. Very fast cross course with very little effort. Can hold more sustained cross course angle than any ski I have ever been on. Turns great. You definitely want the soft version with the Carbon Fin. The Carbon Fiber Craftsmanship is a work of art.

My plan right now is to use the S-2 for a new ski style I am developing because the ski has a lot of forgiveness. For serious short line competition I plan to use the Sans Rival SR-2. It skis best at 35 and shorter.

If your interested in a Sans call Trey at summersskishop.com and tell him I sent you......ED

Ed, Thanks for the recommendation. But at this point I'm not ready to part with my Strada.

After one (long) set on the S-2 I agree with Ed's assessment. Very fun ski to ride b/c of forgiving/stable nature - nice speed behind the boat and very easy to turn. Too easy for me as I also felt like it wanted to dump me in the turns (esp on the off-side) but was manageable.

I felt comfortable on it immediately. I've been on the Strada for a year and both have a similar forgiving nature.

The big difference I felt after one set is that Strada carries speed through the turn better. But that could be a result of the S-2 tendency to overturn and bite. As Ed said that is probably just a fin adjustment.

Still not quite sure the purpose of the cross cut bevels on the bottom of ski. I couldn't feel any difference. Must be a marketing tool.

Fin Setting:

2.50 Dpth

6.845 Length (Tips)

.78 Dft

9 degrees

• Baller
Holy Crap, .78 DFT, no wonder it was overturning..... I use a thin Carbon Fin with two Ventrals, but even with the stock fin I suggest: 6.750 jaws 2.50 .730 DFT and 7 degrees on the wing. You will have greater cross course speed and will be in total control of the turn rate. Then if you want a faster turn rate try DFT of .740, with .750 max. 8 & 9 degrees of wing will increase the turn rate also, with 7 degrees being the optimum point.