Off side/Toe side - left foot forward 2,4, 6 Help

JC McCavit

• Baller
I turn the off side with my rear foot, I reach down the course and do not move out or swing out like I do on the heel side, the ski stays pretty flat not really going on edge in the pre-turn. I push the tail around with the rear foot and muscle back across at 35 off 34 mph. My body is in a C shape with the weight obviously on the rear foot. I've been trying to correct this for years. If there is one thing I can work on in a week to fix this, what would it be?

• Baller

This is what works for me on my off side turns. Try this standing on the floor with your feet in line like they'd be on your ski. As you begin the actual turn actively try to tuck your rear knee in tight behind the front knee. As you tuck your rear knee into your front what happens? Your inside hip comes around square to the direction you're facing taking your shoulders around as well (in other words counter rotation), your center of mass shifts inward (towards the direction you're trying to turn to) which causes the ski to roll onto its edge, and more weight naturally shifts onto your front foot. Done correctly it's pretty automatic, problem is you have to actively think about doing it until it becomes natural. Works for me. Hope it made sense.

Ed

• Baller
JC- I have the same problem that really starts to show up at -35. Coming into 2 ball, I have a tendancy to come up on the ski at the edge change, and then the only way to turn it is to jump on the tip and close at the finish. To correct this, I am really trying to push the ski out in front at the edge change, letting it cast out on its turning edge, and stay long on the handle as OB says. When I do it right, my offside turns are butter. Unfortunately, it is not yet engrained in my technique yet and I find myself going back into default mode if I am not careful.