Imperial Photos

Horton

• Administrators

There was a strange fall at my dads place a few years ago that involved a major head injury. Everything worked out but is was very scary.

There was also a death here in So Cal a few years ago where a young skier .... no one can agree on what happened to him but a helmet would not have hurt.

• Baller
There is a woman in the midwest who had the ski come up behind her and fractured the hell out of her posterior skull and she suffered a traumatic brain injury. Has plates in her skull and still suffers from some visual deficits, not sure what else. She is back to skiing buoys.

• Baller_

Friend of mine's daughter fell, ski came off, and when she came up, the ski was traveling flat on the surface and knocked teeth out of her mouth. Maybe mouth guards as well. I won't be showing my wife these photos. She would mandate a helmet and my daughter most likely will NOT wear a helmet and would probably quit skiing. :-(

@Klundell. You may know this but you can go to an audiologist or a hearing aid vender and get custom made ear molds spacically for blow drums so it does not happen again. Would protect you much more than a helmet or neoprene had band ever would. And they float. Buddy of mine had neon orange so it's easily found. Also had it tethered to his vest somehow.

• Baller_

@Klundell. Be very careful with over the counter ear plugs. The same force that popped your eardrum is enough force to push the plug in the ear cannal doing further damage. The custom mold will be, in part, much larger and molded to your ear in a way that will not allow it to travel in the ear canal at all. Looks like this and you can see how it can get tethered to you vest.

http://home.comcast.net/~netters2/pics11-3-03/bigimages/EarPlugInstalled.jpg

Way better than a helmet or head band.

• Baller

Those photos rock, John. I think I picked up another technical point to practice.

For the best skiers, the inside elbow transitions from in front of the waist to tight elbow to body and rearward pre-release while the other arm is nearly straight. The inside arm gets bent about 90 degrees due to the elbow being drawn back...then release allowing for a long time on the handle.

I've had a few times at 38 trying to keep the handle but given it's at my waist area where the direction of pull from the rope is eventually behind me it has to take my mass rearward (no good when setting up for next ball). If I were to let the rope come rearward like the position I see there but be able to keep my mass over the bindings...it should be the ticket.

I would love to see these pics again in the spring given it's about to shut down in MN.