Chet Raley 38 off 1/2 speed from Laku in Windsor CO

Horton

• Baller
Laku sits at around 5,500' which is around 5,500' higher than Chad's usual skiing altitude - I've seen a lot of people suffer some pretty adverse reactions when they push themselves physically before fully acclimating to the thin air. I bet that has a lot to do with Chad's scrapping.

• Baller
Just an observation,... but ya can't criticize a world champ too much! Watching Chet on the video and at Okee, he tends drop his hip/butt away from the boat a little more than some of the other big dawg skiers. Anytime a skier drops his hips/butt, he is going to get a little separation of his elbows from his vest!

• Baller

I think its obvious to all of us that chet can run 38 a LOT better than this. Out of 2-4 he probably isnt connected as much as he would like but its not bad..

His gate turn in is something ive always questioned/wondered about. He has done this same gate for years. It appears as if he drops his hips back on the ski to help roll it in. Yet he moves to the handle and by the time he picks the line up he is stacked and connected well. It sure works for him! Personally, I couldnt let my hips get that far behind me and then try and regain it by the time the boat gets on me.

• Baller
Out of 2 and 4, he's bringing the handle across his body before the ski finishes - I do this on my off-side and causes you to fall back on the tail out of the turn. Interesting what he does with the handle (rotates it) going into his off-side turn. Curious what this accomplishes.

• Baller

Pretty cool to see on Chet's gate/on-side, he really throws his ski out in front of him.

@jdarwin check http://www.webcast-tv.com/DiabloShoresProAm/video/1719 a majority of the ladies (rather look at the ladies than the guys) all take their palm down hand and rotate down going into their respective off side through the reach.

I have kept my thoughts together enough to be able to think of trying to do this a couple of passes. I have found it not only promotes a low handle and progression of speed off of second wake, but also puts me in good position to reach down course, level shoulders because of a naturally upward reach with rotated hand, and being countered. my $.02. Perhaps the ladies reasoning is nothing near this, would love to ask.

• Baller

Palm down during the Off Side Reach can have some negative consequences for some skiers (not all). It can cause the skier to be leading slightly with the shoulders and trailing slightly with the hips through the turn. This can possibly cause the skier to break forward at the waist and possibly handle dip at the finish of the Off Side Turn.

For me, I have found it important on the off side reach to have the handle in the range from the "vertical position" to possibly in the "palm up position". This will help to keep the shoulders back, chest out, hips forward through the finish of the turn! "Palm up position" is also one great technique to help prevent "handle dipping".

• Baller
@Bruce55 - +1, that boat path is all over the place, especially for a 200. I don't know if the weave was intentional or not, but I've said many times that top skiers not only don't benefit from weaving, it can hurt their skiing.