Optimal Shoreline Slope

Texas6

• Baller
We have a piece of family land that I've convinced my family to build a multi-purpose lake on. Selfishly, my intent is to ensure it is very skiable, in addition to the fishing & etc that the rest of the family is most interested in. Because my uncles build roads and excavate for a living, the hard part of this equation becomes simply an investment in time and fuel. My goal is to guide them appropriately on the optimum slope and depth of the lake and I am interested in your thoughts on best practices here? What is the optimum slope/grade of the perfect slalom lake? What is the optimum depth in the middle? thanks in advance!!

• Baller

+1 For AB

10 foot deep would be awesome, just spendy. We went with 6', but the lake is never "full", making it 5ish. Then all the sediment that accumulates over time has made it in the 4-5' range. So I would go at least 8' deep.

Our shores were 12:1, but weeds caused a shelf at the waterline in some areas, making it brutal. Find a way to maintain the slope with some type of rock, sand, that will protect it from getting deteriorated.

16:1 until a depth of 18"-2'. 10:1 depth to 6'. 8:1 from 6' to project depth of at least 12'

Use a granular mix - at least 40% small stone and less than 5% fines. Any more, and you will have problems. Copper sulfate can be used to control shallow weeds at a low cost. Purchase flakes at feed stores.

• Baller
Our family land is on the North side of Houston in between The Woodlands and Magnolia. I'm happy to ski with a baller anyday but that project will take us a while to complete. If you ever make it out to the West side, let me know as well!

• Baller
10:1 or better. Really doesn't matter - depends more on the type of soil. Even 16:1 will create ledges if you don't maintain your shorelines. Grass, weeds, hardened soil, etc will cause issues. It's never a "set it and forget it" scenario. I have 10:1 and have no issues because I stay on top of it. I've had to place 3" rock in a few areas but not many. And, the cost of going 16:1 and 10 feet deep is pricey.

Several lakes around here are around 10:1 to about 18" or 24" deep and then 3:1 to full depth. Keeps a safe, skiable depth reasonably close to shore. Probably more important with a narrower lake. If you ever need to bring your boat near the shore, the depth/shape should probably allow bow-in to keep running gear free of bottom contact.