Transitioning to radar vector boots

Wayne

• Baller
This season I decided to move from HO Animals to Radar Vectors. I spent some time dry fitting different boots and playing with lateral control. The Vectors definately felt the best and they still feel good on the water. However I never seem to be able to get them tight enough with out the fear of over tightening them preventing release in a fall. So far no falls but I am looking for advice on how much tighten these things down. The upper lace seems to stay where I put it and at the right tension. The lower laces either seem too loose or too tight and seem to loosen as I ski distracting me and taking away some control. I really like an open toe boot and don't want to go back to the Animals until I have exhausted getting the Vectors adjusted correctly to give them a fair evaluation. I wear a size 12 shoe and am using the XL Vector boots.

• Baller
I don't know if this is going to be much help, but I tighten it so that I can pull my foot out with a good solid yank while standing on the platform. In other words I can feel my heel start to come up (out) with a bit of a pull. The Vectors are not for skiers that like a really snug fit. If you over tighten them your foot will not release. I decided to try a more snug fit only once. I fell and the ski torqued my whole leg. I could feel it in my ankle and knee. I was totally fine, but I was this close to something really bad. I have never had a problem with the bottom lace becoming loose. Maybe do a test on the dock to see if the lace latch thingy slips. If so maybe give Radar a call.

Just started on new Vectors this season. They are so comfortable I dont care about anything else..... seriously now. I tighten the lower strap alot and have noticed that after they are soaked in the water they get alittle loose and need an extra yank, just before I get up. The upper strap I just give it a tug and leave it. I agree as above I want to be able to kick the ski off when done WITHOUT loosing anything. The support seems to be fine and just a little less then a powershell but the comfort blows away all bindings...period!

• Baller
The comfort is why I don't want to give up on them yet. I noticed the lower lace stretches some after getting wet too. The other problem I have is on a deep water start I pull up on my rear foot quite a bit. So usually the front boot is ok but the rear boot is all loosey goosey. After hearing you mention the laces have some stretch I think I will change the way I put boots on. Maybe each time I will dunk the ski, tighten them up, lift my feet some to pre-stretch and then snugg them up one more time.

I got the Vectors late 2011 and took my first real fall 5/22 with an OTF after hitting a standard turn ball a bit flat, so was not going terrible fast. I dove in and my front foot came half way out and twisted a little. Thought it was a sprain but weight bearing xray showed serious Lisfranc joint injury. I kept the lower bungie snug and never loosened to get in or out. However, I pulled the top lace pretty tight; perhaps not tight enough or obviously way too tight!

When I can finally ski again I guess I'll try very loose around the ankle and then try something new that comes in a small enough size. Would welcome comments on recovery and physical therapy - met several skiers at the Texas Big Dawg who had the same or similar injuries.

You need to progressively loosen the bungee, and see what changes. Keep going looser and looser until it doesn't ski right. I've made this suggestion to everyone that has bindings with a top bungee lace. Almost all discovered that they had been 1) overtightening and 2) were not getting much out of it than the feeling of a tight boot.

As with all binding advice, your milage may vary.

• Baller
@ HO 410 are you saying the top bungie is what dictates the bindings release characteristics more so than the bottom lace? The top lace I am good with and it stays where I put it. The bottom lace is my concern.

The ammount of tension you but on the bungee lace at the ankle dictates how easy or difficult it is for the cuff of the boot to open up and let your foot out.

If that cinch is slipping, you could just tie a knot.

• Baller
How about the bottom lace then, it is not the bungie type, more of a nylon woven cord that I assume shouldn't have any stretch but does. I would like to crank that sucker down until I get no heal lift or foot movement. Well maybe not that tight but it shouldn't be so loose that I feel like I am wearing double toe loops. Would it be good if I had a similar feeling in my fore foot as my Animals gave me?

• Baller

Are you guys putting on the Vectors when they are dry or do you dip in the water first?

I have to use a plastic cutting board as a shoe horn to keep the heel from collapsing when I put them on. My foot is at top end of the size range.

• Baller
@JayG80 I have done both. I open both sets of laces all the way and put my index finger at the back of the boot to act as a bit of a shoe horn. You could also put a little soap on your heal, I did that the first few time I skied with them until getting used to putting them on while standing on the platform. As discussed above the lower laces seem to shrink when dry then stretch when wet. I haven't had a chance to ski since I posted to test my new method. Probably won't get a chance until next week since I am working on a project for my son.

• Supporting Member
Why is there no strap attached to the rear part of the liner? That would make them trivial to get on. My wife just got a set and getting them on is a pain because the back of the lining always collapses under her heel. Seems like a blatant design flaw. Am I missing something?

• Baller

Maple wrote an article on Bindings once, and he said the most Important aspect is keeping your foot in contact with the ski.

If you want the lateral control tied to your leg like a snow ski boot, then you better have a binder that releases like a snow ski boot.

• Baller
@AB that is the best way I have ever seen some one say "get hardshells" with out using those words. Exo Forms are very tempting but will probably be a purchase for next season if the Vectors don't work out.

Just used my Vectors again at 8:00 am this morning. I paid attention to what I do and found I loosen up the upper strap get my foot in WET but just before I go I take a snug on the lower straps when there nice and wet to get any side to side slop out. I leave the upper strap just snug. When done I kick off the ski in the water I think thats a good sign of tightness.

My ski buddy is done for a few weeks after a blow out at the bouye. When the ski came back down it twisted both ankles and chipped a bone in one. I dont think any binding can stop that from happening he had hardsells with velcro release. This is such a dangerous sport..... but I love it!!!!

• Baller
Finally made it back out on the water to try things out. My major realization is that I was over tightening the upper laces and under tightening the lower laces. Performing a "release check" by trying to kick the ski off just sitting in the water was good advice. I have a little more heal lift than I like but fore/aft movement is really free compared to my old Animals. At least now I have a confident feeling about the release, I think the rest is just adjusting to the different feeling.