Richard Pato

Horton

• Administrators
Richard Pato peacefully passed away on Tuesday, July 10th after a valiant battle with esophageal cancer. Friends and family are invited to a visitation at Higgins Chapel on Monday, July 16th at 4pm located at 1310 A street, Antioch, CA 94509. A funeral service will be held on Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 at 11am at Golden Hills Church located at 2401 Shady Willow Lane, Brentwood, CA. Reception to follow at the Golf Club at Brentwood. If wanted, accommodations have been reserved at the Comfort Suites (925) 755-1222, under Pato Memorial.

• Baller
40 years ago this summer I met a Dark, loud, muscular man in the Delta at Diablo Water Ski Club who would become like a BIG brother to me. Rich was one of the best boat drivers and even in 1972 was pulling and practicing with one of the best slalom skiers at the time, Leroy Burnett. Once you got to know Rich it was easy to see this man had a heart of gold. When he pulled you through a difficult pass he would tip his cap a little sideways and with a giant grin say " Piece of cake" I was lucky enough to be able to stay with Rich at his house in the summer and train for many regional & national tournaments. At the 1974 Regional tournament at Obien Lake (now Radar) Rich had big aspirations of skiing well, however missed his 36 Longline pass, and walked slowly up the shore, Rich was a big muscular man, slowly he lumbered, head down, how ever when he saw me & my family he shined that big smile at me & my Dad and said "Bucket of honey out there, you'll do great" Rcih and I continued to cross paths and for the last 20 years were members at Twin Cities Ski club, Rich was the chief boat driver for all of our tournaments. Rich could be quite a task master, making sure everything went smoothly in his gruff manner. At the end of the day, that light side of Rich would come out, after the intensity was no longer needed, he'd have a nice glass of red wine, tip his cap a little sideways and smile that big smile of his letting everyone know that they all did a great job that day. Rich was the chief boat driver of the Nationals in 2006 and was a tireless supporter of the sport of water sking. In the last couple of years he focused more on his son Ricky & baseball, Ricky is a varsity baseball player as a freshman at Deer Valley HS. A chip off the old block. You see Rich was a Baseball player at Fesno State as a young man. As a sophomore during a routine physical they found Rich had lymphoma, he went from a 175 lbs to 130lbs undergoing chemo & radiation. He beat it!!! and went on to raise 2 wonderful daughters Monica & Lindsay, befriend a 15 your old kid (me) and grow some of the best old vine zinfidel grapes in Ca. I could go on about this man, and what he meant to me. I hope some of you BOS can share your memories of Rich Pato here. I will miss you big brother, and I know you will always have a camara eye on the boat path for me ! Say a prayer for Rich & his family.

• Baller
OMG. This is such sad news. Rich - everything you said about Rich was how I thought of him, too. A big muscular intimidating guy, but really so nice and kind to everyone. Although I didn't know him as well as you, he was always so nice to me when we did cross paths. Last time I saw him was last year at Diablo Shores. He and Sue stopped to talk with me and my sons. He was clearly so proud of Ricky. He will really be missed in the Northern California, the western region, and thoughout all of water skiing.