Binding adjustments

SM

I'm looking for some help on binding placement fine tuning. With my current setup I have a perfect off-side turn followed by a great stacked position going to my on-side. My problem is that if I am anything less than perfect going into 2, my on side turn becomes big and round. I can get through 35 like this but it's killing me at 38. At 35, either my 2 ball or 4 ball will seem great, but rarely both, any mistake and I get the slow turn. My fin is at stock and the ski behaves perfectly, I think it's a question of binding placement. I already moved the back binding back one hole and today I set the rear binding dead straight and will try it like that. Anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks.

• Baller

Moving the rear boot back or both boots back will increase sharpness of the turns, but rotating back boot to little toe is supposed to help onside turns, not straight.

If you like the skis attitude behind the boat, I would suggest putting your boots back to where they were and tweak the fin to get it more responsive onside. Increase dft .003 and reduce depth .001 and see what that does.

Thanks I will give that a try. I got mixed signals about back boot rotation from different places where Schnitz makes reference to it. I do remember however that if my rear binding is too turned out that it has a negative effect on my skiing.

• Baller
I have found that turning my back boot too far hurts my offside without much difference onside. To compensate, I believe some rotate the front boot outward. I think it depends on leg shape, bowleg, knock kneed, etc.

When you turn your back boot, do you move the heel or the toe of the boot to get the angle? For instance, it's easy to swing the front of my back binding left or right but very difficult to move the heel. I wonder if moving the heel has more effect?

• Baller

I move the Rear both in front and heel. Front goes toward little toe and heel goes opposite. Your center will still be in middle. The theory is that as you turn your back foot on your onside turn to level, you sort of over-turn as the foot tries to get back to center

Thanks AB, I tried the fin tweak and it isn't the solution. It gave me a little on-side slack and only a minor change in the turn. I will move on to the binding placement next and give it a go.

I moved only the rear of the back binding 1/2 inch to the right (RFF skier) and now I have a great on-side and mediocre off-side. So I think cutting the move in half will solve my problem. @AB thanks for the help.