Fusion vs Prophecy.

sunvalleylaw

• Administrators
  • Baller

Prophecy...and I was a D3 guy. I rode a Fusion last year in search of a new ski ( I rode about 6 different skis). After it was all said and done I wound up back on my Nomad RC for the remainder of last year and thru May of this year. Jumped on the Prophecy in June and haven't looked back.

My personal thoughts are the Prophecy carves a really nice turn with not a lot of effort. It is very stable and forgiving; but, it is still "fast" as it continues to build angle and get you separation at the bouy. It is a stiffer ski so it really accelerates nicely and heads cross course.

I just couldn't get the Fusion to work at all. I know some people are having some success on the ski; but, it just wasn't the ski for me. I can be sort of "busy" on the ski and the Fusion seemd to be very tempermental; especially to back foot pressure. Fin set up seemed to be extremely important as well.

Either way, if you have the ability to ride both before you buy; I would highly suggest that approach.

• Baller

I rode a 67" Prophecy yesterday. Just freeskiing. The first couple turns, particularly strong side, it wanted to throw me down on the water. the owner said I got "lower" on that ski than I had all week, but that I looked stronger and more in control on my RCX. The RCX certainly seemed more predictable to me, but I am now used to that ski.

I found that once I put more pressure on the front foot on the Prophecy, it felt much more predictable. I was not sure if it I thought it felt as "fast" as my RCX. The RCX is an inch longer though too. My rear leg got a little tired on it too for some reason. I am sure it was a form thing, and that I could get adjusted to that ski just fine. I would love to try a fusion and a prophecy on the same day. I love the RCX, but I think 68" is gonna end up long for me.

EDIT: I re-read the reviews. I think the first "onside" turns I made I must have pushed on the back foot or something, as it made a rocket like direction change. Like I said, it felt like it was gonna dump me on my ear. More front foot pressure made it much more predictable for me. The D3 feel seems more forgiving to me for my style, or lack thereof. But what you say about the Fusion not liking any rear foot makes me wonder. I try to keep balanced and stacked, but I cannot honestly say how successful I am all the time.

• Baller
I went from a Prophecy (2009?) to a Fusion late last year and couldn't be happier. It wasn't a six buoy miracle but I'm far more consistent in getting to my top end. It smoothed out my offside so much that I often feel my offside is now on the other side of the course. That said, if you get on the tail it's tough to get back into a pass.