When to or not to ski in the open division?

webbdawg99

• Baller

This is a topic I have no knowledge on but would love some clarity.

Why are some guys skiing in open men in the regionals, and some guys that are open rated skiing in B3, M1, M2...whatever? What's the advantage or disadvantage?

Doesn't seem quite fair that a kid from my lake (B3) had to compete with KC Wilson and Zane Nicholson bc they didn't ski open. Yet it looks like in the western region, lots of guys were skiing in the open division.

What gives?

• Baller

webbdawg99 It really is up to the skier. But, if you ski open at regionals, you also have to ski open at nationals. KC and Zane are both great slalom skiers, but as B3, should they have to ski against Nate and Chris at Nationals? It also looks like KC is starting to 3 event again and a possiable overall title may be important to him. My guess is that he might be tricking and jumping to get ready for college tournaments in the fall. Another thing that comes into play is when groups ski at Nationals. Open this year skis on Tues and Wed. that may or may not play into travel plans. MM slalom skiers do the same thing. Ski BigDawgs all year, but then drop to age groups for nationals.

I don't think anyone from the west region was a B3 skiing open. Other factors that play into it is how much time you have to train. A open overall skier that I always respected because he did ski open went back to age group this year. He is done with school and has a real job now with reduced practice time. That does not make it wrong. It may mean that he does not have to miss as much time from work if he skis age group.

Not all things in life are fair. Work hard and skier better so that you can compete With KC and Zane. They should not be forced to ski open because they are good. Let them enjoy what they have accomplished.

• Baller

I definitely wasn't implying that they should be forced to ski open. Just trying to better understand the dynamics of being open rated.

Is there a benefit to skiing open? Obviously, the competition will be stiffer. If you ski in your age division, your obviously much more likely to finish on top. So why ever ski in the open division? Bragging rights if you happen to place well?

• Baller

Sorta the unwritten rule that is usually followed is when an Open ranked skier is still skiing their age division they are doing so because still don't have it's title and once they get it the move on to ski open at Nationals.

Also open skiers don't have to ski regionals, and cuts down on costs.

I know this year the M1&2 division for midwest regionals are taking place at the same as the Malibu open so all those skiers are now having to ski open and some I know wanted to ski their age division.

• Baller

@mattp Looking at the list for malibu, I am not sure I saw any M1 or M2 skiers from the midwest that I would have expected to ski age group at nationals. I would think anyone who skis in a pro event would ski open. I did not see any under 21 or under 17 skiers form the midwest who will be forced into open because of malibu. If you are talking about Tyler Lorenz, he skied open last year and in fact won open overall. Who from the midwest that is sking at malibu wanted to ski age group?

You are correct in your statement that if you ski open at nationals, you are NOT required to ski regionals. But, you must be open rated to do that. There are a few skiers on the open rankings list in slalom that are not open rated. I am not sure how that happens. Maybe a scorer places them in open at local tournaments, and the scores show up on the ranking list??? There are several that are not open rated in a single event, BUT are open rated in overall.

• Baller
@ MattP. Really, you think any one of the three of them planned to ski age group this year at nats? That's what I would consider a sandbag. I think each of them are outstanding skiers and would have skied open against the best. All of them have proven that in the past. They are not afraid of the skiers in open. If you ski a pro event you should ski open. Plus, I think Michigan skiers of that talent level would step up and ski open. LOL They have in the past. I think Cal ran into 41 this past weekend and Trip has been on here in several places talking about running 39's

• Baller

Change the overall rules!

When Kirk skied "up" to Open from B3 he was severely criticized by the coaches who wanted him to develop as an Overall skier. When I skied "down" to M5 I am being criticized as a sandbagger (especially when my actual overall performance falls far short of the pipe dream wild card performance I am chasing).

Scheduling issues also forced my choice. But I skied well enough to earn that choice. Suffer whiners!

Age divisions exist for valid reasons. Physical issues, career issues, family responsibility issues and others differentiate skiers as they age. The few who are able to cross those barriers are entitled to every "advantage" their performance allows under the rules.

In the past when I did ski "up" I was allowed to ski the events I was qualified only by overall at Regionals and Nationals. But that seems like a painful tease when I ski well in those events and don't get to score overall.

Skiers skiing "up" should be allowed to drag their scores into overall. If that is too difficult logistically, allow the "up" skiers to ski another run in age division for overall but not for placement. I proposed this to the Rules Committee last year but it did not seem to have enough support. Contact your AWSA reps to support such a change and a few of the overallers might quit sandbagging.

Eric

• Baller
I don't have an issue with people skiing in their age group division. Particularly the B3 skiers they should definitely be able to ski in their age group if they want to. It isn't a slam dunk for KC Wilson to win Nationals there are a few skiers that can give him a run for his money. There is a B2 skier that averages 10 buoys hire than the next closest kid. Is it fair that my kid has to ski against him (I think it is fair)?

@ntx skiing Big Dawg events does not make you MM. You can ski in Big Dawg events without being qualified for or competing in the MM division.

I think ultimately what you are that there are guys in the Big Dawg events that are skiing their age division at Nationals but should be skiing in MM....and there are several of those skiers where I would agree 100%