OJ Prop test on CC200

Horton

• Administrators

The deal is that I ski behind a CC 200 about once a week. The owner of the boat got if from a promo guy. The boat owner and the other guys that skis over there did not ski ZO much before they got that boat. When they got the new CC 200 they just thought ZO was kicking their asses. In other words they did not know what a good ZO boat can feel.

When I started skiing with them I told them that there was something wrong with the boat.

Before I go any farther let me say that I think the current CC200 is one of the best boats ever made and I have the greatest respect for Correct Craft. I am not criticizing CC in any way here.

So I started skiing over there and the boat was super unfriendly. At first I thought that something was wrong with the ZO. (could be?) That boat just freight trained down the lake. Even when you were skiing good it was stressful.

I called the Jodi from Florida Inboards and told him about it. Jodi told me that he was working with OJ Props on a different prop. Jodi sent me one of the R&D props a while ago and I do not understand the technical difference but what I can tell you is we are all skiing better and the boat is turning 300 less RPMs.

The RPM thing is funny because I know some insiders who tell me that for a CC200 to do what it is designed to do it needs those revs. I am not sure if it is a good idea to change props just for fuel savings or engine wear but if you have an unfriendly boat you should call Jodi. He will give you a much more clear technical explanation.

• Baller_

John Glad you are enjoying the aftermarket enhancement of the Oj product.

Keep in mind as a long time Nautique owner and have a working relationship with Nautiques I do a lot of product testing and evaluation of outside OEM products. The Oj line of products are only available as an aftermarket item for Nautique's but are state of the art and Oj has been innovators in products for the inboard market since 1936. The XPC line of Products include strut bearing, shaft seals , drains, logs and tools to install. OJ also has a full line of underwater replacement gear to fit most all boats. Folding platform brackets are a newer addition to Oj product line for the Mastercraft ski boats. So as one can see Oj is not just a propeller company but a company with a very wide range of products for inboard application.

The CNC XMP line of propellers are truly a work of art and perform on par or better then the competition at a better overall value. Oj propellers are more robust in material then the competitors CNC propellers and have a significantly different blade profile that equates to a more efficient running propeller with minimal slip.

Need something special in a propeller Oj can build to order. I have two Stainless steel propellers for my v-drive sprint boat 11-1/4 X 19 that make my old flatbottom haul the mail.

For More information on the Oj line of products: http://www.ojprops.com

Or call your nearest Oj dealer.

Jody Seal

Florida Inboards Inc.

• Baller_
The 422 is offered on the 5.7 package it is just not certified for competitive usage. Would not run that prop at altitude more then 3000'. Their are a number of 5.7 200's in the field running the 422 at this time with very satisfactory results.

• Baller

The test is to run it wide open and see if the rpms are in the mfg spec range. If you are too far below the range, the prop could be over loading the engine over time.

From Malibu website: If your engine is only able to turn 4000 RPM at WOT instead of 4600-4800, the engine is running hot and hard but because it cannot turn at the rated RPM, the water pump is not pumping as much water as it should be or that the engine wants when it is working that hard. Also, under those conditions, the throttle settings are telling the ECM/computer to supply fuel to the engine for WOT operation but because the engine is not turning the appropriate RPM, the engine is over-fueled. It may not be able to burn that excess fuel … so now we start washing oil from the cylinder walls which accelerates cylinder wear. And where does that excess fuel go? Some goes past the rings into the oil which dilutes the oil and reduces its ability to properly lubricate the engine … and some goes out through the exhaust.

Jody may be able to give specifics on what is spec and what the different props turn, but I would guess that if you are only below the minimum WOT rpms by 100-200, probably ok.

• Baller
My neighbor has a 422 on his boat and the 2 open rated skiers ( OM, OW ) on the lake won't skl behind it. They say it's too soft and there is no whip off the second wake. The boat feels dead. There are 6 200's on my lake ( 3, 6 liters and 3, 5.7's ) Mine is a 6 liter. The 6 is awesome.

• Baller_

The 6 liter is a great match up engine package for the 200. Funny I thought the 200 at regionals was soft with the stock tested 5.7 configuration, maybe I have become used to my 6 liter boat.

Changing propellers is personal preference. and those looking for a definite change can benefit from a propeller change. I like the feel of the Oj on my boat as it does not give me that extra "whip" off the second wake from the over shoot of the ZO. For me and other's who have the OJ on their 200's prefer the non "whip" feel that the Oj provides or just a firmer hook up with out the excessive ZO ZOOM ZOOM.

Keep in mind also that a boat over propped wont get out of it's own shadow. Most of the boats utilized in tournaments are under propped to make the erroneous acceleration testing that AWSA does at the tow boat tests. They tend to get up quicker but real top speed and better ski ability is sacrificed because of it.

Improper Propeller installation can cause vibration. I have yet to see a CNC ACME propeller that Vibrated after proper instillation. Ridding on the key or having to "mush" the propeller up on the shaft will cause a prop the vibrate.

• Baller

Jody, when you say "Ridding on the key or having to "mush" the propeller up on the shaft will cause a prop the vibrate"

what do you mean? I going to change out my prop to a 422 to see if we like it better than the stock but since I never changed a prop before just want to make sure I do it right. Any tips? I'm going to buy a prop pull to remove the prop.

• Baller

I prefer the 422 to the stock prop on my 2011 5.7 200. I ski on a short set up lake. My ski partner's boat is the same with the stock prop. There is no difference in ability to get up to speed between our boats. I put my stock prop on last week to train for the Big Dawg finals. I could not feel any difference in pull. I tend to not be as particular about the boat pull as some other skiers though.

Pulling my son at 36 is disturbing though. The rpm is just too high. I would like to see a dyno sheet on the 5.7. I think that the stock prop brings the engine rpm's above it's peak torque at 36.

My boat with the 422 feels more strong in jump than any promo boat that i drove in tournaments this year(no 6 liters.).

I know all boats can be different but mine is definitely better with the 422. Id like to try Jodi's OJ though. His 200 with the big engine is a rocketship though.

• Baller_

The Propeller inner bore taper has to match fit on the taper of the shaft correctly. also the key is not their for the propeller to ride on and when the propeller is installed correctly will just float in the key way of both the propeller and the shaft. Mushing on the propeller is when their is a bind or miss align with taper or a bind with the key and key-way and the propeller gets driven on by the nut, this can cause vibration.

When installing a propeller new or old I like to first check that the key will slide with out bind in both key-ways of the propeller and the shaft. make sure the shaft and propeller bore is clean of grawdew and oils. Some may even hand lap the prop to the shaft at this point. set the key into the key-way of the shaft, then align the propeller on the shaft and with out twisting slide the propeller onto the shaft with out any side load and it should slide right on with a resounding metal to metal thud. When this happens you know it is seated correctly. Tighten the nut to 80 foot pounds their is a technique to this with out utilizing a block of wood, However if done incorrectly one can get cut! I Bar the propeller holding a blade and with my arm the rudder to tighten the nut, newbies might want to use a heavy work glove for this process. Also a Nylock nut is only good for a couple of assembly and dis assembly. I like to not utilize one more then three times off and on.

Hope this helps!

• Baller_

What boat and motor package? 4100 ish on a modern EFI boat is low as rev limiters are in the 5500RPM range across the board. older carb low HP fords had max rpms in the 4500-4700 range even then 4100 would be a low wot rpm, Might want to check the accuracy of the the tach

Ski boats should be propped to operate in their max torque range. for example On our 6 liter 200 the rev limiter is 5599 RPM. With The stock 654 it has no problem getting to the limiter with top speeds in the 48 mph range and slalom rpms at 3800 at 34 mph and over 4000 at 36.

With the OJ we run or the 668 ACME Max RPM 5460, slalom speeds 3500 at 34 and 3700 at 36 depending on boat load plus or minus 25 rpm, top speeds around the 51 mph mark. I feel with these props I have maximized the power range for my usage.