What to do when I am late/stood up at the buoy?

WBLskier

• Baller
I read a lot of great articles and posts on here about how to do things right. So how about some tips about what to do when I’m half way through the course and have already screwed things up. What should we do when we are late…or for me, when I get stood up at the buoy and lose my speed and rhythm? I’d love to hear some thoughts about what to do when your rhythm is off and out of position, yet still on your ski and in position to possibly run the pass.

• Baller

Great question! I can't wait to read what others write here.

For me, if I'm coming into my onside turn (late/narrow/out of position), I seem to get away with pulling long into the ball, keeping my ankles bent and turning hard-but-not-too-hard.

Into my offside, I'm at a loss and anxious to see what others have to say.

dont chicken out and try your best to RUN it. i have seen guys come out of 3 ball fully squatted on the ski of balance and still run the pass anything is possible if you hold on. The worst that can happen is OTF so who cares HOLD ON !!

• Baller

The guy I ski with keeps telling me that when I get behind that I only make things worse by rushing, scrambling, or pulling harder on the rope. Instead he tells me to focus on getting back in good position behind the boat using the proper form like you would've had you done the turn right in the first place.

It's hard for me to think about that after a screw up but if I do, I quickly realize that I'm either in the right place or ahead at the next ball depending on how bad my screw up was. Granted I'm skiing long line and I'm sure a screw up is more severe at short lines but I've watched him really mess up some turns at 32 off and somehow make the next ball with some really good form.

• Baller
I used to re-establish position, and make the boat pay in the pull, often save the pass. This is still possible on PP classic. On ZO, I re-establish, get on it and then quickly get off it before I get flung...keep the handle be patient on the next ball turning after it if necessary, then back to business as usual.

• Baller
With either ZO or PP you have to remember that you make up the most time behind the boat, not at the turn. If the turn doesn't happen, then reset your angle and work in the right place, then get off it. Simply stated, once you get the angle, hit it quick and with commitment up to the middle of the wake, but then be prepared to get off of it fairly quick, keep two hands on, and ride out to the next ball.

• Baller
Good point @Razorskier1 The same elite coach that gave me the above advice also said in the same conversation that "if you put extra energy into the cut into the wakes, it must be balanced by putting extra engergy into the connection and move to the outside." Thanks for that reminder!