Boat registration

T8skier

• Baller
Do you have a title for your boat? If not, you will have problems. In GA, we are a title-less state so when you buy a boat, it's not yours until you register it and then the registration card is your title. You need something besides a hand written bill of sale from the last guy saying the boat is yours.

agree with jfw432. In Indiana the title and registration are separate- so you can title the boat to confirm ownership but if you don't use it in public water no need to register the boat (still have to register and title the trailer). If you decide not to register the boat but then want to do so later they charge you for 2 years of registration fees.

• Baller
I've sold a couple unregistered boats without issue. I sold my last boat without the title even being in my name, however it was signed by the previous owner when I bought it. I guess it depends who's buying it from you. My last went to another private lake, so he's not going to register it either. Having the signed title in hand is a must though.

• Baller
If you have a title, you should be okay. In PA, even if you own your own private lake the PA Fish Commission is still allowed to patrol the water. They have jurisdiction. It is always wise to register and put the numbers on the boat. In PA if you live out of state, you still have to register your boat in the state where you use it the most.