Radar boot review

eleeski

• Baller

Early in the season I suffered a nasty ankle tweak. Like a bone bruise in the middle of the ankle joint - no tendon or soft tissue damage. This was in my funky hardshells with no release (and none appropriate for this fall). Reinjured it right before Regionals in the same place (I was able to hobble to the starting dock). Same hardshells.

So I switched to a Radar boot on the hurt (front) foot - my rear boot is rubber banded in and very comfortable). After some serious Nascar style lightening of the plate I was not able to notice the weight difference. Adding an extra tongue and using Intuition liners made the feel quite similar. My buoy count did not seem to change (for better or worse).

I have had three high energy falls on the Radar boot. All of them lit up the ankle but I was OK after some ice and a few minute rest. One fall, I stayed in (appropriately). One fall, I tore the radar boot off the ski - plate and all - with my foot still in the boot. And one fall, I yard saled everything - both feet out of shells and liners. Normally I don't have many high energy falls. This has been a tough year for my slalom. Maybe I'm trying too hard - or not enough. But the last time I tried the Radar, I never fell hard.

I am quite encouraged by the lack of real injury with the Radar boot.

Kirk uses stock Radars and has never fallen hard with them. Plus he is on a good learning curve. And I enjoy and ski well on his setup (D3 Z7 w Radar boots). His first set of Stradas got a bit tired (still OK but too much of our brackish water and an eyelet pulled out and the fix was a bit funky). So he switched to RS1s (Doane took care of us - thanks) and after a couple adjustment rides he couldn't tell the difference. I am happy to have him on these boots and would certainly recommend them.

But I have a couple of Ideas for new design boots. We'll see where that takes me...

Eric

• Baller

How tight are you pulling the laces? There is a lot of discussion about how most people pull them too tight (so that they feel more snug, like other bindings). When I switched to RS-1s, they didn't 'feel' secure - I wanted to tighten the laces, but from what others were saying I decided to resist and leave them fairly loose. Buoy count went up. Change is good.

Anyhow, tearing the whole plate and boot off the ski w/o releasing sounds like over-tight laces or some very odd fall. My RS-1s certainly release when they ought to.

• Baller

I mounted the plate with small screws (#6) through a thin skin. A screw pullout is not unusual for me. After the first pullout I might be OK with bigger screws but eventually I end up with inserts. At that point the screws shouldn't pull out (I switch to Gatorade lids when needed). The yard sale fall was with the same tension on the laces but bigger screws (normal #8) (the result of the ski breaking).

Note that I replaced the lower hard lace with a clip. The clip was at the same tension for all falls as was the bungee lace. Compared to the hardshell clip, the bungee lace felt a bit looser for me too. But it seemed to work well.

@andjules All the releases were releasing "when they ought to". That is why my review was reasonably positive for the Radar boot.

Eric

I have the new strada boots on a g-10 plate using the interlock system. I can tighten them as tight as I want which makes the ski super responsive and I have no fear that in the event of a hard crash they separate from the ski to prevent injury. I would highly recommend them, they are super comfortable too.

• Baller
I've skied Radar boot (RTP guy) since they came out, and have not had an injury. On a yard sale the liner and my foot come out easily. Easier falls I stay in. As for tightness, when I pull it tight and cinch it down, if I flex my foot forward into the front the heel will lift. I call it snug, not tight. Offers plenty of control. A friend uses the pair and is a very good skier (deep 39 with regularity). He says he pulls his tight because he doesn't want his ski coming off. Of course, he doesn't take the kind of falls some of us lesser mortals do either! I recommend snug, not tight.

• Baller
@eleeski - I agree that the release is reliable and appropriate; this after suffering from an ankle break on double (rubber) high wraps in the past. I have both rs1 and strata bindings that work great for me - they combine great edge control with a safe release (once I got used to not tightening the top strap too tight).

• Administrators
I can not say this enough. If you only tighten the top lace until it is snug but not tight the Radar bindings are super safe. If you pull the cord so tight that you can not get out without loosening them they are not safe. I do not believe you get more balls by tightening the top lace extra and I really like being able to walk.

• Baller
I love my Radar RS-1's. Have only had one high energy fall in them and both my feet and liner's came out. Before these bindings I had rubber high wraps and kept tweaking my ankle. Now I haven't had any ankle issues - very nice! The pro shop I bought them in (and demo'd them before I bought) recommended no "tightening" as well. Just loop the bungee around and snug the bungee clip down and your good to go.